Moving Forward

Chapter 49: Moving Forward

Krogan ran through the village, only slowing his pace when he reached the forest. Suddenly too tired to go on, he placed his right palm against the trunk of a tree and rested his weight on it. Thoughts and emotions buzzed in his mind. The chief of this village - Reidun's husband - was dead because of his flyers. As far as he could surmise, many of the village's problems started after that event. And he was responsible.

"Krogan?"

Reidun's gentle voice caused a jolt of pain to flash through his heart. "You knew," he said, his voice shaking. He kept his back to her, refusing to look at her in fear he would completely fall apart.

Reidun's reply came after a moment of silence. "Yes. I knew it was one of your men - his dragon, rather - who killed my husband." She paused and added almost silently, "I was there."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't think it mattered."

"How could it not matter?" Krogan pulled his arm back and held it by his side. He clenched his fists, his whole body shaking. "This is my fault. I'm responsible."

"You were not the one who committed the act or gave the order."

"It doesn't matter. You ascribed responsibility to Drago because he was in charge. Why shouldn't I share in that?" His breathing grew labored as he struggled to hold in his emotions. How Reidun managed such calmness baffled him. 

"I didn't tell you because I didn't want to hurt you," she finally said with a tinge of resignation.

This only served to confuse him even more. "Why not? You should hate me." He would hate him if he were in her place.

Reidun did not respond at first. When she did speak, her words came out slowly and reluctantly. "I did at first... when I met you. That first night we talked, I wanted to kill you... But then... I saw your eyes. They showed me someone with loneliness and regret. I saw you were struggling and trying hard to change. And I realized I could have easily been in your position. Likewise, if you grew up in better circumstances, you likely would not have made the same wrong choices - choices many people would make in your place.

"And what's more, unlike others in similar situations, you too the opportunity presented to you to become a better person. Most people find it hard to admit they are wrong, let alone change their behavior." She touched his shoulder, and he flinched. "I forgive you for what you did then because of who you are now. You and your friends have taught me that friendship and understanding is more valuable than hatred and suspicion. I know it is our instinct to look after ourselves, but I think we will all fare much better if we look after each other instead."

Krogan gazed down at Reidun with wet eyes. She was smiling at him. What had he done to deserve this? He felt his defenses cracking, but he had to be certain. "You don't care about what happened?"

"I do care, but I care about you more. The past is in the past. Let's focus on the future together, shall we?"

Her courage and humility broke the last barrier. Krogan could only nod, his mind too full of emotion to speak. He turned fully to her and opened his arms. Reidun took the invitation, wrapping her arms around him in a gentle hug. He held onto her tightly in return. He closed his eyes and breathed in deeply. He did not know how, but all would be well.

***

Hiccup took over with the villagers when Reidun went after Krogan. He knew quite a bit about Singetails, so he was able to answer everyone's questions about Ruby. After awhile, Dagur returned the group to the riders' dragons for further training. This left Hiccup alone with Ruby. The Singetail looked around uneasily and whined.