Redemption

Chapter 55: Redemption

Ingrid nervously bit her lip as she stared at the ships protecting the island that was her next destination. This looked like a setup for a repeat of their previous disaster. How could she expect anything to go differently? Then she looked at Snotlout and saw him grin at her. Something inside of her settled. They could do this. They had to do this.

"Are you ready for this?" Snotlout said.

"As ready as I'm going to get," replied Ingrid.

"We don't attack them, right?"

Ingrid was surprised he was so willing to use her tactics this time, but she nodded. "Block but don't attack. They'll attack us because they think we're the aggressors. We have to maintain the moral high ground or we'll never persuade them of our ideas."

"Right. You hear that, Hooky?" Snotlout rubbed Hookfang's neck, and the the Monstrous Nightmare grunted.

"Let's try to give them some peace and calm, Shadowwhisper." Ingrid knew it would not do much against the soldiers, but it may signal their intentions. She took a deep breath. "Let's go."

They were met with resistance as expected. This time, however, the two dragons merely burned the weapons and nets tossed at them while they left the ships alone. The soldiers shouted angrily at them, but there was not much they could do without dragons of their own.

Shadowwhisper and Hookfang landed before another crowd of angry villagers. Ingrid and Snotlout immediately dismounted and raised their hands to show they would not use their weapons. "We come in peace," Snotlout said.

An older woman stepped forward, her eyes narrowed. "And who are you?"

Out of the corner of her eye, Ingrid noticed the ships sailing closer to the island. They had to do this quickly. "I'm Ingrid, and this is Snotlout. We're from Berk and friends of Torleif Island."

The woman appeared surprised. "You know Chief Reidun? Why has she gotten mixed up with Berk?"

"She's realized that we're on the right side," Snotlout said. "We taught them how to be friends with dragons so they can rely on their protection instead of the Northern Alliance's."

"Dragons are great companions," Ingrid said, patting Shadowwhisper's side. "We can show you if you want. The wild dragons here will no longer give you any trouble, and they can produce valuable goods you can use for trade."

"And they won't extort you like those guys." Snotlout jerked his thumb at the soldiers who were rushing on shore.

The woman looked at the soldiers and then at the dragon riders. "I'm listening."

"It looks like those guys are going to give you trouble," Ingrid said, pushing down her nervousness at a potential confrontation.

"Let us show you how Vikings and dragons can work together," said Snotlout.

The woman withdrew a long sword. "No, show that you and your dragons can work with us." The others around her nodded in agreement.

Snotlout and Ingrid exchanged looks. He nodded, and she smiled. "No problem," said Ingrid.

***

Krogan gazed at the island where Drago held Eira captive. It was time to confront him and get her back. For too long Krogan had lived in fear of the man, a testament to Drago's control over him. Krogan was not afraid now. He was angry. For once, he did not fight the resurgence of his old instincts. If he had to kill, he might as well kill to benefit everyone.