Differences of Opinion

Chapter 40: Differences of Opinion

Krogan stood with Ruby on the ledge overlooking the dock. Several Northern Alliance ships had arrived early that afternoon, and he spotted more in the distance. He did not know if Oliver's plan would work, but it was the best they had. Chief Reidun stood with several guards behind her, and she appeared to be in a heated argument with the opposing men.

The man who appeared to be the leader of the incoming group withdrew his sword, and Reidun looked up at the cliff. "It's time to go," Krogan said, mounting Ruby. Some of the men stared at them in fear as the flew down to the docks, but the leader's eyes narrowed. Krogan met his gaze with a fierce look. "I hope you are not causing any trouble."

"She's the one causing trouble," the leader sneered, "going back on her deal."

"A deal you forced her into. She does not need you any longer. I am asking you to leave."

"And what if we don't?" The leader nodded at his men behind him, and they slowly withdrew their weapons.

Krogan reached for his axe. "You will regret it."

The men still appeared nervous, so the leader shouted at them, "Come on, we can take him!"

Ruby roared, scaring away two men. However, many more emerged from the ships. Reidun ordered her own men to attack, and they met the incoming threat. Krogan guided Ruby to the air when the men started throwing traps. First he directed her to shoot straight up into the sky, and then she aimed at the ground. Some of the men scattered while others fought back harder.

The leader appeared annoyed at his men's cowardice. "It's only one dragon!"

"You think I'm here alone?" Krogan said. "There are others who lie in wait to attack." On cue, a shriek rang out form the forest. This was followed by several more in all different directions. Then a fireball hurled from the edge of the trees towards the ships.

The leader paled but refused to retreat. The fight continued until Oliver appeared on his dragon. "The reinforcements are ready!" he declared. "Shall I send them in?" Dewwillow growled menacingly.

The men exchanged terrified looks and fled. Enraged, their leaded ran straight for Reidun, who's attention was on Oliver. Krogan immediately leapt off Ruby's back and crashed into the man. He landed on top of them, and the two of them struggled for control. Krogan managed to knock the man's sword away with his axe. Keeping his weight on him to pin him to the ground, he raised his axe above his head.

The leader finally gave into fear, cowering beneath Krogan. "Please..." he whimpered.

Krogan halted his movement mid-strike. What was he doing? He fought with his instinct to follow through with the job and managed to force himself off of the man. He then grabbed him by his shirt and lifted him to his feet. "Leave," he growled. Eyes wide, the man scrambled to do just that.

Krogan did not relax until every ship was fading in the distance. Oliver landed beside him and hopped off his dragon. "That went well," he said.

"Thank you for your assistance, you two," Reidun said. "You did well."

Krogan did not respond, for he was too busy reflecting on his previous actions and what they meant.

***

Hiccup spent the morning and first part of the afternoon working with Gobber to make sure Berk's defenses were up to date. Gobber was thrilled to help and enthusiastically got to work producing weapons and means of defense. Astrid also offered her input and suggested she train everyone on basic fighting techniques. Hiccup agreed and left her to it.