[R/D]chapter twenty: a break from terror.

Oliver POV~~~~~~~~~~~

I can barely sleep, I'm not used to sleeping outside my bed, but now I guess I have no other choice, I wake up to the carriage not moving, it looks like they set up a little area outside of it, they're making food.

"Morning, hows your arm?"
The one with the really worn out jacket asks.

"Painful."
I reply, noticing how my friend is staring at them, maybe Sam has taken a liking to this group? Maybe...that would be great, he isn't a social guy.

"I have a stick and an old shirt, we should wrap it up before it gets infected or even more hurt."
They say.

They grab their backpack and take out a couple t shirts, a metal rod, and a bottle with a bit of alchohol in it.

"hey Jack, remember that whiskey we drank when we first met?"
They say, the guy, who I'm assuming is Jack, laughs.

"No way, it's still there?! Daaamnn...!"
Jack says, the jacket person tears the shirts and douses one in the alchohol.

"This is gonna sting, but theres a pretty decent sized cut, I gotta disinfect it...hold your breath."
They say, before pressing the doused strip on my arm, I jolt in pain and hold my urge to scream, the pain Is less after a while, and they start to wrap the metal rod on my arm with the other cloth.

"So...how long have you been on the road?"
I ask.

"Since I was 2 or 3 probably, that's when Cher's apartment got overrun by los muertos."
They say.

"Los...muertos?"
I mumble.

"Oh, that's my way of saying 'the dead', Cher was fluent in a different language, and since she raised me, i know a shit ton of it."
They explain...so they're foreign? Or bilingual?

"...know any curse words?"
I ask.

"Puta madre means 'motherfucker', it was fun to yell around Cher a lot."
They say, we both laugh a little, when they wrap the last cloth around my arm, they step away a little, probably to make sure i don't jump and run...smart, cause this hurts like hell and i wanna jump up and shake it off.

"Maybe you can be my tutor? It would be pretty fun to talk to you in another language, plus that sounds like spanish, so I think your friend cher was teaching you fluent spanish."
I say.

"Hm...sure, when we're on the road, I can teach you how to speak some words in...spanish, odd to say it, but I never really knew what language cher was teaching me...oh! I'm (y/n) by the way."
(Y/n) says.

Me and (y/n) sit on the grass, watching the others, it looks like they're cooking rabits.

"How long was I out?"
I ask.

"A while, the sun rose a long time ago, me and Jack went out and got two pretty fat rabits, so that's lunch and dinner, we're gonna cook tme both and save one for tonight!"
(Y/n) says, smiling.

"You seem excited."
I say, I like seeing them like this.

"Yeah, usually we dont have more than one meal, sometimes we dont eat for days, then again, you lived in that big wall place, I doubt you've had any problems with food."
(Y/n) says, they're right, my living space is basically a pre infection zone, I've never struggled with needing food.

"How did you survive with little to no food?"
I ask.

"Well, It wasnt going to be a problem for the first few years, cherit said when I was a toddler she joined a group, so she can have help, she said she wasnt a good caretaker until she met a few women from there."
(Y/n) explains.

"What happened to the group?"
I ask.

"Well...same thing that always happens sooner or later, the leader got cocky, the smart one got angry, the braun lost his will...the entire group was torn apart, that happened when I was probably around 5, I remember this one girl, Anna, me and her were friends."
(Y/n) says.

"What happened to her?"
I ask.

"She....got trapped in a house, when the group was surrounded by los muertos, one broke through the window and...dragged her out."
(Y/n) mumbles...wow, people outside the walls never had any breaks growing up.

"You never got a good chance to relax, did you...?"
I ask.

"Well, after I met the people in this group, I had a lot more fun, it wasnt as scary to face los muertos with people beside me."
(Y/n) says, I smile at their enthusiasm, they've lived in legitimate hell, and they're still kind to me...its weird, but welcomed.

"Hey, foods done."
Jack says, handing us both a piece of meat on a leaf.

"Looks great, I cant remember the last time I had a good hot meal!"
(Y/n) says, practically inhaling the food.

I feel an odd sensation in the back of my head, and I turn to see Toby, hes just...staring at us, with a blank expression, I wave at him and he walks away.

"So...When are we going back to the carriage?"
I ask.

"We all agreed to stay here for a little bit, we fed the horses and we'll sleep in the carriage, that way the horses are faster in the morning."
(Y/n) says...is that how horses work?

"The sun's gonna set in a few hours, so it'd probably be best to try and hunt, that way we have extra food and dont need to stop."
A boy says, sitting down near us.

"Good idea, Jack! We can have two groups with two people, the rest can guard the carriage and camp."
(Y/n) says, so that's Jack? I knew it.

"I'll go with y-"

"-hey...! What are you guys talking about..?"
A soft, anxious voice asks, I turn and see Sam, I guess he wanted to do more than stare.

"We're setting groups to get food."
(Y/n) says, I suddenly have an idea, Toby said (y/n) was the best at survival, maybe they can teach Sam how to protect himself!

"Sam, how about you go with (y/n)?"
I say, suddenly, both of their eyes are on me.

"W-what?! But I-i cant hunt...!"
Sam says, cheeks red in embarrassment.

"They can teach you! You need to learn how to defend yourself, this is the perfect time!"
I say.

"Well...I've been protecting myself and others for years, if you need anyone to teach you, I'm probably the best you'll get."
(Y/n) says, Sam stares at them for a second, before looking down and covering the lower part of his face with his hoodie.

"Sure...I'm not that good though..just a warning.."
Sam mumbles, hiding in his Hoodie.

"Everyone's bad at the start, but I can help you until you're really good! Dont worry, I'm good for my word...!"
(Y/n) days, Sam stops hiding in his hoodie and stares at them again, they react by booping his nose again, he smiles softly at it...im glad to see him happy, especially after our home...well, you get it.

"Okay, everyone got their partner?"
(Y/n) asks, oh yeah, Jack is the other group.

"I'll take Noah...since my drinking buddy is already picked."
Jack mumbles, silently glaring at Sam, who somehow doesnt notice.

"Alright, we'll meet back here at sundown, that's around 3 hours to try to find extra food for the road."
(Y/n) says, getting up and grabbing Sam's hand, sams face lights bright pink, but he doesnt do anything.

The two groups leave into the woods, leaving me and Toby to guard the carriage, I watch as Sam and (y/n) disappear into the trees...they'll help him man up, and im really glad for that...he needs to learn to survive, especially now that he's all i have from home...i can't even think of losing him now.