[R/D]chapter eleven: campfire problems.

Toby POV~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We've been walking for a while now, its sundown and really cold, Jack and I are shivering, while (y/n) and the clawed dont show any signs of being cold.

"Are we there yet Jack? My feet are going numb...!"
I complain.

"I fuckin' wish, it's at least a full day of walking ahead of us before we reach my friends little group."
Jack groans.

"If you're all really that tired, than we can probably take a break, I'm getting a little cold too, and I dont wanna deal with hypothermia."
(Y/n) says, the clawed just growls lowly like its trying to sigh...i don't like that it acts human, its not human.

We walk over to an old pet shop and sit down, its still cold, but it's better than the freezing wind.

"Anyone wanna start a fire or something?"
Jack asks.

"I have a lighter, me and Tob my can go get something flammable to make a tiny fire."
(Y/n) says, I smile at their suggestion, finally some time away from the clawed!

"Sure, just go before I turn into a popsicle...or a Jack-sicle."
Jack says, (y/n) gets up along with me, but the clawed grabs her jacket sleeve and gives her a sad look.

"Its alright Noah, I'll be back soon!"
(Y/n) says, 'Noah' let's go of their sleeve and stares at them while they walk to the back, giving off a sad puppy feeling, once they're gone, it jerks its head towards me, glaring at me.

"Haha, fuck you!"
I say, running off to join (y/n).

We walk over to the backroom, where (y/n) is looking through shelves.

"Hey..!"
I say, walking up to them.

"Hey Toby."
They say back, I frown, I kind of expected them to turn around.

"Sooo....what do you think of the group? It's a pretty weird one."
I say.

"You're pretty cool, Jack is a good person to have around, and Noah's pretty awsome...!"
(Y/n) says, smiling, I frown, of course they'd say that, it saved their life! Its like Stockholm syndrome, but worse!

I don't get it, they nearly died to a clawed, i nearly lost them to the same breed of dead that they're practically in love with now! They're so sweet to me, so nice to Jack, but that thing shouldn't even be smiled at, fuck, they're too easy to cling to things...

"Well...what's gonna happen to Noah after we reach Denver? I dont think they'll let a clawed in."
I say.

"Oh yeah...well, we'll all sneak him in!"
(Y/n) says.

Godamnit (y/n), please, just leave it behind!

"But what if we get caught? I don't wanna see you hurt."
I say.

"Toby...that's really sweet."
(Y/n) says, putting their hand in my hair, I sigh and close my eyes, enjoying what I know wont last.

"But..."
Here we go..

"Noah saved my life, i cant leave him behind, and hes really nice when you get to know him...!"
(Y/n) says, trying to defend the corpse that's in the other room.

"But (y/n)..."
I whisper, but they just smile, how do they make me so happy when I need to be sad..?

"Dont worry about me Toby, I'm a pro at this stuff, I'll fuck up whoever comes in the way...!"
(Y/n) says, before grabbing a shirt from the shelf and walking out, leaving me there.

"But...I cant help but worry...i don't wanna lose you...."
I whisper, clutching the jacket over my heart.

I shouldn't be this torn up over someone, I know better...but why do they make me so weak and helpless? That feeling alone should be bad..but why do they make it feel like something good to be...?

I walk back to the others and see that Jack's already trying to start a fire, While (y/n) pets the 'thing' they call Noah. Disgusting.

"Hey Toby!"
Jack calls me over, I take my attention off (y/n) and 'Noah' and walk over to him.

"Hey man, you dont look so good, what's up?"
Jack asks, still trying to start the fire.

"I dont know, I feel so weird..."
I mumble, watching his struggles to make the fire.

"Dont worry dude, when we get the truck, we'll be out of here, Denver should be pretty cold, the zombies will be slower in the snow."
Jack says.

"Yeah, outta here....but what about the clawed?"
I say, me and jack look towards the two others in the group, well, the one other and their little 'savior', who's being pet by (y/n), grinning with its sick looking teeth.

"That? I dunno, I dont think we can walk up to Denver with it by our side...then again, with the way (y/n) gets in danger and how this 'Noah' dude is so protective of them, he might be dead by the time we reach Denver."
Jack says.

"Yeah..."
I say, a new hope rising in me, if its really that protective of them, it'll be dead quickly...then i Won't need to worry for them as much.

The fire lights and Jack sighs, rubbing his hands in relief, (y/n) smiles and puts their hands close to the fire.

"Thanks Jack, a fire is exactly what we need..."
(Y/n) says, Jack smiles in victory before lying on his back.

We all relax to the fire, but soon (y/n) accidentally puts their hands in the fire, pulling away quickly and wincing in pain.

"Ah, godamnit!"
(Y/n) yells, The clawed immediately looks at them and their hand, it grabs their hand in its weirdly shaped hands and stares at them.

"AaAaAahH...!"
The clawed growls.

"I'm fine..! It's just a little burn, I'll be okay Noah!"
(Y/n) says, the clawed looks at them and squeezes their hand, making them smile.

"Uh..."
Jack mumbles, I glare at the clawed in pure annoyance, it shouldnt be coddling them, it's a monster bent on cannibalism and fear, and they're the person who's saved everyone in this group, they're complete opposites and i hate that they don't see that..!

"(Y/n)...a-are you okay?"
I ask through gritted teeth, (y/n) yawns and looks at me through heavy eyelids.

"Yeah...! I just need some sleep, then we can go back on the road."
(Y/n) says, rubbing their eyes, the clawed rubs its head on their neck, purring while rubbing its thumb across the back of their hand.

...i hate it so much.

(Y/n) lays their head on the thing's shoulder and sighs, slowly falling asleep, I growl at the clawed, its smug grin at me is just making me even more pissed.

"Godamn Clawed..."
I mumble, the clawed growls happily and puts its head on top of (y/n)'s.

I really hope it dies before we get to Denver....I need to make it there with (y/n), and i just know that the thing they keep coddling will cause their death if i don't do something...