chapter fifty nine: dont look.

Readers: *angry noises directed towards Tobias for half the book*

Me: *cackling in the background as i plan to kill off another character*

(Y/n) POV~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"...Toby?"
I mumble, staring at him..he seems like he's spaced out, just looking at me and being..slightly creepy.

"Are you alright? Toby, answer me...!"
I say, reaching my hand out to him.

In a quick moment, he grabs my hand and pulls me to him, i can barely register the sudden action before i realize he's holding me tightly in his arms.

"...thank you."
Toby mumbles.

"Uh...you're welcome.."
I say, Toby lets go of me and looks around...what did he thank me for exactly?

"(Y/n)...Where are we...?"
Toby asks.

"....We're trapped, the rest of the group is outside the building.."
I say.

"Shit...why are we in here if the others are out there?"
Toby asks...oh yeah, he got knocked out right before Los Muertos showed up, he's clueless.

"I was carrying you, then my stitches broke and i couldn't walk anymore...Axel saved both of us."
I say.

"Axel? He's still here?"
Toby mumbles.

"He left to find stuff to fix my leg, but he's still in the building."
I explain.

"....oh."
Toby says.

"Do you feel alright? You were out cold."
I say, he puts his hand up to his head.

"Yeah...yeah, im good. A little dizzy, but overall fine."
Toby says.

"Alright, good, can't have you dying on me."
I chuckle, trying to lighten up the situation, Toby smiles a little and puts his head on my shoulder.

"Yeah..."
Toby mumbles.

A sudden noise on the door gains my attention,  it doesn't sound like los muertos, its not loud enough for it to be them, it sounds like...something being thrown on the metal, light pinging repeatedly showing up.

"Do you hear that?"
I ask.

"...hm?"
Toby hums, still not moving his head from my shoulder.

The noise goes on for just a few more minutes, before silence...absolute silence, i cant hear los muertos anymore.

"...i think they're gone."
I mumble.

"What?"
Toby says.

"There was a noise and...los muertos aren't loud anymore, its like they ran off."
I say.

"That's...not possible, they know we're in here...right?"
Toby asks.

"Well...they would run away if something else got their attention...like a person or an animal."
I say...was Axel trying to get them away?

"What could that be? The rest of the group..?"
Toby suggests.

"...hopefully."
I mumble...i hope they all got somewhere safe, but I'll be a lot happier about them leaving after we get out too.

A creaking noise in the backroom gains my attention, it sounds like the door, didn't Axel go through that? Maybe he's finally back...great, cause this is swelling and it feels more painful every Damn second.

"Must be Axel."
I say.

"Lets...talk about something else, if its Axel he'll come inside, but for now...lets just be alone."
Toby says...alone, we haven't really been alone together since...since Jack...i miss Jack.

I want to know i did all i could, but...did i? I was asleep, and he was trying to help everyone...and it got him killed...i know i didn't want him around at first, but i got attached, and that really fucked me over when the inevitable happened.

Its funny, after a certain amount of time, Cher stopped interacting with people, she had a saying to strangers, 'if you're stupid enough to befriend one, you'll be heartbroken when they die, don't name livestock'...her views on those things were strange, but understandable.

"sure...Like what?"
I ask.

"Hm...for starters, how long have we been in here?"
Toby asks.

"Half an hour at most, Axel left a while ago, but im not sure if it just feels that long because of boredom and fear or if it's actually been that long."
I explain.

"...are you feeling okay?"
Toby asks.

"A little in pain, but...yeah, I'll live."
I say.

"Alright, but if you feel worse, just tell me, okay? I really worry about you...i don't want you hurt."
Toby says.

"Really, im okay, new stitches and some disinfectant and I'll be good as new..!"
I say.

"Except for the broken foot."
Toby reminds me.

"Yeah...except for that, but it'll get better soon, and then we'll just go to Denver and it'll be like none of this ever happened, no chaos and no trauma."
I say...they say Denver is the pre apocalyptic city, the only place that kept true hell out in time...its the perfect place to forget it all.

Imagine living out the rest of our lives in a place where none of los muertos are in...we can forget all the paranoia and trauma we've had to adapt alongside, and we can just be...ourselves. It sounds too good to be true, but even if it is...its my only chance to see Cher again, and im taking that chance with pride.

'Dont name livestock'....i wonder how she'll react when i reach Denver with a bunch of teenagers and a clawed, fuck, she'll either be impressed or unbelievably pissed.

"(Y/n)."
Toby says, sternly, but his tone sounds..weird.

"Hm?"
I hum.

"...dont move."
Toby says.

"What? Why?"
I ask.

"Just...just don't."
Toby says.

"Toby, explain why You're trying to scare me before i actually get scared...is one of los muertos behind me?"
I ask.

I see Toby slowly stand up, staring directly behind me, but he doesn't walk or charge to whatever he's looking at...he's just staring at it like he's waiting for it to move...but what is 'it'??

"Seriously, Toby, what the hell are you doing??"
I ask, looking behind me.

I see a glimpse of something green, but before i see anything else...i get hit over the head, the daze of the sudden impact makes me slump to the floor.

I can just barely hear muffled yelling, and i can't seem to focus on..anything...who is that?