[R/D]chapter four: jackson.

Toby POV~~~~~~~~~

I wake up with (y/n)'s head on my shoulder, I feel sort of...happy, this is like a break from the hell we went through yesterday...or at least the hell that i went through yesterday...they didn't seem that phased.

I sigh and savor the small moment of peace, once (y/n) wakes up, we'll be back on the road, Denver's pretty far it'd take us weeks to make it there, so times like this could be our only relief.

"Hm...? Toby?"
(Y/n) mumbles.

"Morning."
I say, they get up and grab their backpack, smiling.

"Let's head out, los muertos will be back by night, so we gotta make every second count."
(Y/n) says, I nod and follow them out of the store, back on the street.

We walk down the street for a long time, I get bored and start playing with the pocket knife (y/n) gave me, practicing little tricks. after at least an hour of walking, a loud scream goes through the area, it's coming from the building cross from us.

"Is it a clawed?"
I ask.

"No, that sounds more human than any kind of los muertos."
(Y/n) says.

"Then we should help them!"
I say, (y/n) tries to object, but I'm already running to the building, opening the door to see a guy around my age pushing one of the dead off of him, but its pinned him down, trying to bite him.

"For gods sake, Toby! Dont run into danger!!"
(Y/n) yells, running towards me.

"We should help him!"
I say.

"We should go before more of los muertos show up!"
(Y/n) says.

"Hey!! Fucking Help me, please!"
The guy says, (y/n) sighs and pulls out their kitchen knife, ramming it into the deads skull, the guy pushes the now dead-dead off of him.

"I...wow, Thanks, one more minute of that and I wouldve been zombie food."
The guy says.

"Yeah yeah, thank Toby, I wouldve just left you for bait."
(Y/n) says, the guy looks at me with a confused look, then looks at (y/n) again.

"Wait, Why didn't he save me then?"
The guy asks.

"Long story there."
They say.

"Alright then...I'm jackson, but you can call me jack...if you want."
Jack says, a loud scream echos through the walls.

"Fuck, we gotta run!"
(Y/n) says, grabbing mine and Jack's hands and running.

"Fuck fuck fuCK fUCK FUCK!!"
Jack yells.

"I told you we should've just ran!!"
(Y/n) says.

"I stand by my choice!"
I yell.

We keep running until we see an apartment building, then we close the door and go as high up as we can, running into one of the top apartments and locking the door.

"I hate zombies."
Jack says.

"I hate stairs."
I say.

"I hate both of you."
(Y/n) says, walking to a couch and lying on it, searching through their bag.

"What are you looking for?"
Jack asks.

"Found something at the hospital, I was saving it for a rainy day, but this is damn well close."
(Y/n) says, pulling out a bottle of what looks like....whiskey?

"Oh damn, a hospital was hiding booze?"
Jack mumbles.

"Aparantly, maybe a patient snuck it in and they confiscated it, either way its ours now."
(Y/n) says, opening the whiskey and taking a large drink from it, then passing it to Jack.

"So, what was up with you and los muertos back there?"
(Y/n) asks, Jack drinks a lot of the whiskey and hands the rest to me.

"My friend got pissy about this legend we were looking for and pushed me in the building, the zombie jumped on me before I could walk out."
Jack says.

"Damn."
I say, only taking a small sip of the strong drink...it burns, ouch.

"What's up with you two?"
Jack asks.

"Found this guy while I was looking for food, he almost got killed by two of what you call 'zombies', aparantly he doesnt know survival stuff, so I'm letting him tag along with me on my trip to denver."
(Y/n) explains.

"That's his story...what about yours?"
Jack asks, earning a silent moment from (y/n).

"Well...i was living with this lady for a long time, my mom died and the lady did not skip on the details of her death, 'ripped apart by los muertos'...i went along with the lady, she taught me survival, how to trust, how to fight, how to know what to do if You're in a shitty situation..eventually we got in a shitty situation that she just couldn't get us out of..."
(Y/n) stops, yanking the whiskey from me and downing the rest.

"Fuck, sorry dude, I honestly expected something like a missing group or a lost house...sorry."
Jack says.

"Its alright, she never liked me being mopey anyways, she called it a useless emotion."
(Y/n) says.

"(Y/n)..."
I mumble, not sure what to do, but wanting to help them in anyway I can.

"Sounds like los muertos didnt follow us here, we could probably sneak out from a balcony or something."
(Y/n) says, getting up and walking out the door.

"Have they ever acted like that to you?"
Jack asks.

"Well, considering I've only known them for a day and a half..."
I say.

"We should probably follow them, alcohol and mommy issues do not mix well."
Jack says, I nod and we walk out, (y/n) sits on the balcony, tracing their finger around the wraps covering their arms...staring like they're lost in thought..i wonder where they got those from..

"Hey."
Jack says.

"Hey.."
(Y/n) says back, not taking their eyes off of what remains of New York.

"You said you two are heading to denver, right?"
Jack asks.

"Yep."
I say.

"I know a guy in a group, they have trucks, I could see If I can get you a truck, maybe even a gas siphon."
Jack says.

"...really? What's the catch?"
(Y/n) asks.

"I've made one too many enemies in this place, I'll probably get killed if I stay, if I get you a truck, then you have to take me along to denver, or wherever the hell, as long as we get far from here."
Jack says, (y/n) looks at me.

"Well....let's see how it goes, if you're true to this truck deal, you can come with us, but if I hear a single thing wrong, your brains will be all over the wall."
(Y/n) says darkly.

"Alright...noted..."
Jack mumbles.

We jump across the balcony and land on the roof of another apartment complex, making our way down the stairs and heading back out.

"Hey Toby?"
(Y/n) calls out, I hum in response.

"Another lesson, dont trust strangers, alright? I'm making a big risk in trusting him."
(Y/n) says.

"If you shouldnt trust strangers, why have you trusted me so far?"
I ask, (y/n) smiles.

"Because I know you're good, like a sixth sense, I look at you and know you're a good person."
(Y/n) says, focusing back to walking with jack and I, i smile at their answer, it makes me feel happy....no...

...it makes me feel pride.