chapter sixty six: My hearts desire.

I'm back with a college application and a lot of very troubling panic attacks!

Also playlists I'm making for the main characters of this...I'm not sure who to make first though. Any suggestions?

Toby POV~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Axel grinds his teeth, I never realized that up until today. The noise is...distracting. Along with that irritable noise is the squeaking from the shoes that the little girl is wearing.

"This place is too big for even the four of us to cover...how many people are we looking for, Toby?"
Jack asks. If it were up to me...two. Noah and (y/n)....maybe River, But (y/n) would never forgive me if they knew I left anyone behind...they've risked their life so many times for these people.

"There's (y/n), Noah, Conny, River, Axel, Alex, and Jay...so six left."
I state.

"I hope Alex is alright...he gets into bad things too often."
Axel sighs.

"I can't believe Noah is still around...I was sure one of you two would kill each other."
Jack chuckles. This seems to get Axel's attention quickly.

"Toby and Noah? No way, they're like brothers...always sneaking off to places."
Axel protests.

"Really now? Back in my day Noah and Toby were always butting heads. The dumbasses couldn't ever come to any kind of middle ground."
Jack explains.

"Yeah...after you left Noah and I sorta...came to an agreement."
I say.

"And what agreement is good enough to make you two finally get along?"
Jack asks.

Guilty blood must spill.

"Blood...is thicker than water."
I hum. Jack scoffs dramatically.

"So lame...guess it suits you, Toby."
He says, his face stretching to a cocky smirk. I can't help but smile too...he's always had a contagious smile.

We haven't been able to cover any meaningful ground in this hell of a mall so far...no teammates, no dreaded kidnapper...no (y/n). It feels like I'm legitimately in my own hellscape. Stuck here with an anxious boy grinding his teeth down to bloody mesh while I'm desperately trying to save the love of my life from what sounded like a psychotic version of Conny...yeah, it's hell alright.

"Axel...Could you not?"
I say, ready to grit my own teeth by now.

Axel's shoulders fall from his ears and he lets out a long breath, before simply nodding and scratching at his knife. That's just as annoying...but I'll wait to see if he cuts himself before I lose it.

Somewhere down the hall is a loud shot...that had to have been a bigger gun than anyone in the group was carrying. Axel definitely noticed it too, his shoulders tensed again. Jack grabbed the girl and now holds her in a death grip on his side. Without a word to him I grab Axel's wrist and drag him quickly to the source of the noise...I feel like Jack would willingly follow, and he does.

More noises follow when we get closer...screams, sqeaking shoes...disgusting noises that sounds like zombies eating a poor persons insides. Eventually we get to a place with windows, the windows are covered in vivid red...the smell of sweet copper is worse than the sickening color staining the windows and doorway.

"Who's in there?! We're armed..!"
Axel screams. In that moment I have half a mind to jab him in the throat and say scavengers picked him off...what kind of death wish makes you scream at something you haven't even seen yet?

"Wh...how old is he??"
Jack whispers, I just give him a look that lets him now I'm just as disappointed.

"Axel? Axel, is that you?!"
A far too familar voice screeches. Even in a panicked tone, I can still clearly tell its Conny.