Family Problems

A/N: so uh long time no post huh... whoops. life caught up with me, assignments, new gf, another two fucking covid lockdowns.. you know,,, the works. Anyway have a small amount of angst that really isn't angst... I just wanted to get this out the way so I could enter the final stages of this story :o

----

Lauren was fuming. Her knuckles had long since turned white on the steering wheel, her eye twitched intermittently and her brain wouldn't stop thinking.

Her own sister.

Working against her.

She knew Taylor hated the family reputation, she'd made it clear she wanted nothing to do with her family name.

Lauren had never thought she'd betray her though.

"Betrayal is a strong word." Madison mused.

Lauren blinked. She wasn't in her car anymore. She was sat at a bar, bottle of whiskey in front of her, glass half empty. Madison had clearly just arrived, her jacket still wrapped tightly around her shoulders.

"My own sister," Lauren slurred quietly, "tired to dismantle me."

"I'm sure she had her reasons Lauren," Madison slid into the seat next to her.

"Camzi said she did it 'cause she cared," Lauren mumbled. Madison slowly dragged the whiskey bottle towards her, passing it off to a waiter as they walked by.

"It's a dangerous life to lead," Madison agreed softly, "that's why I'm here."

"She went behind my back Mads," Lauren whined, finishing her drink quickly. She reached for the bottle but frowned at the empty space.

"Time to go home Lauren. The flat or your parents?"

"Flat. D and M are busy." Lauren slumped forward onto the table and Madison sighed. She wrapped Lauren's arm around her shoulder and helped her stumble to her feet.

----

Madison almost let out a cry of relief when they finally reached Lauren's front door. Lauren struggled for her key before handing it to Madison.

"You should stay," Lauren said determinedly. Madison laughed as she unlocked the door and ushered Lauren in, heading her towards the kitchen. Her eyebrows raised when Lauren just blinked at her.

"I'm not staying Lauren."

Lauren pouted and leaned on the counter, burying her head in her arms.

"Camzi was here last time I was this drunk," Lauren mumbled, "she made sure I was okay."

Madison pushed a glass of water towards Lauren.

"I bet she did," Madison chuckled, "and I also bet you were both kinda drunk and didn't care."

"Maybe..."

"Now drink up and go to bed. I'll sleep on the sofa if you really want me to stay."

----

Lauren woke up to a heavy tongue and a pounding head. Luckily she'd had the mind to draw the curtains before collapsing into bed.

She sat up slowly and let her head stop spinning.

She could smell coffee... who was in her apartment?

It took her a few minutes but her brain finally told her legs to start moving. They brought her to the kitchen where Madison was making breakfast.

"Uh," Madison spun around, butter knife in her mouth, "morning?"

"I wasn't expecting to see you until this afternoon." Madison said with a sheepish grin. Lauren blinked, taking in her appearance before she winced.