A Symbiotic Relationship

A/N: or alternatively titled how Lauren and Camila realise they kind of need each other. ALSO i'm tryna keep updates coming but my classes start next week so fml

---

One month later

Camila was so used to taking her lunch break and driving up to Rikers that no one in the office batted an eye.

It'd been about 30 days of visiting, a month, a whole ass month and Camila was no closer to learning anything.

She'd taken to bringing some work with her to do while Lauren watched her from across the table.

Camila was also loath to say that sometimes she even helped.

"What is it today then Mila?" Lauren asked as Camila entered.

"Usual. Who's your prison contact?"

"Shocked you haven't got that one by yourself." Lauren mused. Camila rolled her eyes.

"Who's doing your gun running?"

"Who said I was gun running?" Lauren frowned briefly before it became a smirk.

"Smuggling?"

"Doesn't sound like me."

"Drugs?"

"Pass. I don't do drugs." Lauren shrugged. Camila let out a long breath and let her tongue run over her teeth.

"You... are so frustrating Jauregui."

"If you came around this side of the table I could show you how really frustrating I can be." Lauren shot back, biting her lip with a grin. "And you can call me Lauren you know."

"And you can't call me Mila. That nickname is taken." Camila replied absently as she opened her file.

"Camz."

Camila looked up quickly, blinking at Lauren who smirked. "Thought you might remember that one."

"Shut up."

"So if you're a PI now... does that mean someone hired you to take me down? Or is this still about that coffee?" Lauren asked, leaning across the table with a grin.

"Yeah I got hired." Camila murmured. Lauren looked at the pictures in the file.

"Wife's cheating and he's blackmailing the lover. So who hired you?"

"Already knew that. I just have to get proof. And none of your business." Camila replied easily.

"It's the definition of my business." Lauren retorted. "I'd try that motel there." Lauren added, leaning over to point at one of the photos; a glaring neon sign in the background.

"They wanted to remain anonymous." Camila said with a frown as she picked up the photo.

"Then they must be stupid, I have ways of finding out." Lauren scoffed, folding her arms over her chest. Camila glanced up at her with a small smile.

"Don't throw a tantrum Jauregui. I'll cuff your 'ways' before they even know what's happening." Camila mused.

"Please, you wouldn't know them if they smacked you in the face." Lauren replied.

"Oh so that guy was one of yours?" Camila rubbed her cheek thoughtfully.

"Someone hit you?" Lauren asked, her face becoming blank. Camila looked up at the sudden toneless voice.

"Uh yeah? Dude didn't like being done for extortion." Camila shrugged.

"What's his name?" Lauren asked, her nose twitching with the effort of breathing evenly. Camila put down the papers and leaned her arms on the table.