A chance encounter

A/N: So I know writing a cop based story rn is like not ideal but TRUST me when I say Camila doesn't stay a cop for too long.

This is inspired by my "cops and robbers" one shot from my Camren Oneshots collection but I'm changing the plot a little so it won't play out exactly as I once envisioned. And as much as I would love to write that story, it wouldn't feel right.

I haven't written a multi-chapter story in a couple of years so bear with me on like regular updates and shit. I have planned out the whole story so it shouldn't be too hard but like ya never know with me.

----

Camila Cabello had been out of the academy for a whole two weeks before she ran into Lauren Jauregui.

She felt so shiny and new, the new kid on the block and her uniform felt too stiff. She hadn't had time to wear it in, to make it look worn and used. Like she'd spent her days protecting people and not wandering the streets, waiting for something to happen.

The only good thing was her partner, they'd graduated the academy around the same time and been partnered together. Camila almost couldn't believe someone as sweet as Ally could ever want to be a cop but then she'd met the rest of the 99th Precinct and their Sergeant.

"Does anything actually happen on patrol?" Ally whined as they walked down the street. They'd stopped to get coffee and were trying to ignore the biting of the cold winter air against their fingers.

"Apparently not." Camila sighed. "The Detective unit upstairs is apparently so good at their job, crime doesn't fuckin' happen."

The two of them laughed and tried to ignore the way their breath came out in cold visible bursts in the air.

Camila was about to radio back to the precinct for any new hits when someone's shoulder collided with hers, her coffee flying everywhere.

"Holy shit, I am so sorry." Camila waved it off and shook her hands free of coffee before looking up. She smiled at the concerned face looking back at her, green eyes standing out against pale skin, black hair flipped over her shoulder and a hoodie tugged tight around herself.

"Don't worry about it." Camila said with a bright smile, tucking her hands into her pants pockets.

There was a pause, the two of them just smiling at each other before the woman seemed to jolt back to life.

"Sorry, I've got somewhere to be." The woman apologised. "Or else I'd buy you a replacement coffee." She smiled once more before turning on her heel and jogging away.

"Well she was nice." Ally smirked at Camila who rolled her eyes.

"Shut up Brooke."

It wasn't until later that she'd learn the identity of her mysterious green eyed coffee killer.

----

They were waiting to cross the road when it happened.

Alarms started blaring from the jewelry store across the street, there was yelling and screaming, arms waving as the security guard failed to catch the small hooded figure darting out the front door.

Camila and Ally glanced at each other before taking pursuit. Camila processed Ally calling dispatch and notifying them of their chase.

"NYPD freeze!" Camila yelled as they careened around the corner, the figure still some way in front of them. She felt the pavement thudding under her feet, her boots finally losing their squeaky clean look as she splashed through slushy puddles.