A Failed Celebration

A/N: this wasn't originally how the story was gonna go but I like this way a little better so imma roll with it :D

-----

"How the fuck did they know I'm the new boss?" Lauren growled as she peered out the window and glaring at the cops sitting in their unmarked car across the street.

"Maybe we've got a rat?" Normani said with a shrug. Lauren scoffed and turned around, leaning on the dining room table in front of her. "It won't kill you to sit down Laur."

"No one's gonna snitch on the Jauregui's, no matter who's in charge." Lauren murmured.

"Laur? Is that Normani?" Her mother's muffled voice made Lauren sigh; today was not the day for worrying about work.

"Yeah, is everyone ready?" Lauren called out. Chris appeared in a rumpled suit and sleep stuck to the corner of his eye. Taylor was smoothing out her dress and texting on her phone. Their mother opened the bathroom door, notably not wiping under her eye and definitely not clenching her teeth together.

"Let's get this over with." Chris grumbled.

----

"You ready Mila?" Ally yelled, banging on her apartment door.

"Yo, Brooke. Keep it down." Ally spun on her heel and came face to face with Detective Diaz.

"Uh... sorry Detective."

"Don't worry 'bout it." Diaz said, shutting her door and walking towards the elevator. "Good luck."

Ally nodded, her mouth still hanging open slightly as Camila opened her door, adjusting her tie, her hat tucked her arm.

"God I forgot how uncomfortable these uniforms could be." Camila grumbled, grabbing her car keys and shutting her door. "Ally? You okay?"

"Diaz lives across from you." Ally mumbled. Camila shrugged and locked her door.

"Yeah, hence the carpooling."

"Thought she lived like... down the block."

"You good?" Camila snickered. "Ready for court?"

"Do we have to be in uniform?" Ally sighed, finally coming back to reality.

"Unfortunately yes. We are still officers Als." Camila grumbled. "Even if Puth did rent us out for a while."

The walk down to Camila's car was quiet, the apartment block still mostly asleep at this early hour.

It was only when they got stuck in traffic that Ally spoke up again, having spent the previous time yawning.

"You ever been to court?"

"My dad had jury duty and couldn't leave me in the house by myself." Camila muttered, her hands flexing on the wheel.

"I meant like as a cop."

"Watched Diaz testify the other day." Camila said with a grin.

"You two seem close." Ally said, carefully watching Camila's reaction.

"She's a good friend. And we have fun at the lgbt meetings when we can." Camila chuckled. "I'm still surprised she hasn't moved."

"Peralta is still trying to figure out where she lives." Ally laughed. There was a lull in the conversation as traffic started moving again and Camila cursed at a few taxi drivers. "Do you think he'll plead guilty?"

Camila chewed on her lip as they pulled into the court parking lot.

"I think that Vives is good at her job, really good. So I'm expecting this to drag on."