Change is coming

A/N: this chapter doesn't have too much camren in it, like at all, but this is slowburn after all... and while my impatient ass wants them to be together n o w, that's not how this story goes :D

Edit: I've changed a couple details at the end of the chapter since I changed a character in the next chapter 

----

"How could I be so stupid?" Camila groaned, her head hitting the wall with a dull thud.

Her and Ally had been given the weekend off since their investigation went so well and they'd finally managed to get one over on Lauren. Therefore, they were chilling out at Camila's apartment, drinking and, in Camila's case, aiming for amnesia.

"Is that Jauregui's ring?" Ally asked, peering at the new addition to Camila's cork board. In a small ziplock bag was a gold signet ring.

"God we let her build her back up plan." Camila whimpered, her voice muffled against the wall.

"Did you steal that from evidence?"

"I was too caught up in hunting her, I forgot about the family as a whole." Camila rambled to herself, ignoring Ally as she sipped on her beer and rested her forehead against the peeling wallpaper.

"She'll want it back eventually." Ally pointed out with a chuckle. Camila finally looked at her, turning around and leaning against the wall instead.

"Fuck. Didn't think of that. I'll sneak it back." Camila conceded quietly.

"You really think she can keep the business going from Rikers?" Ally questioned, folding her arms and flinching when the cold beer bottle touched her skin.

"I think we've all underestimated the lengths Jauregui was willing to go to not disappoint her father." Camila sighed. "She didn't even hand control over to her brother. She's trying to run stuff from prison. I definitely didn't see that coming."

"So now what?"

"I'll talk to Peralta when we go back, see what we can do." Camila chugged some beer and paused. "Maybe we can get put on the case with Major Crimes, or the gang unit, try and help them dismantle the family."

"God it sucks being an officer. I feel like we're at everyone's beck and call." Ally grumbled, making Camila crack a smile.

"One day we'll be the Detectives around here. And it'll be awesome."

----

Two Weeks Later

Lauren was thriving. Almost.

She'd managed to bribe a few guards to help her move contraband in and out of the prison. That kept her in most people's good books; she could get them most of the stuff they wanted and in turn they wouldn't snitch on her, or try and beat the shit out of her.

Plus she'd be correct, the name Jauregui still held some reputation on the inside.

She'd even managed to convince one of the guards to get her a direct line to Dinah and Normani. Phone's were risky, but messenger through a corrupt guard was much more reliable. As long as they got their pay, they weren't likely to rat themselves out.

The only thing dragging her down was the prison gang. There were a few cliques and groups but the main gang was causing her trouble.

They were here competition in contraband and their leader, a small, young evil spawn of Satan was causing Lauren havoc.

The girl was barely an adult and yet somehow the little twerp had managed to coerce the strongest, and most violent, women into protecting her.