𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 25

"Focus your energy. Let the fire flow through your veins, embrace your powers."

I had spent the last hour trying to make a ball of fire appear in my palm. So far, it was going not so great.

"Red, focus."

"Don't call me Red!"

Scratch that, it was going wrong. My mind kept wandering back to Henry. I hope Henry returns safely-ow!

I looked down to furrow my eyebrows at the book Kayden threw at me. "What'd you that for?"

"You zoned out. Again. I can see this isn't working." He muttered a few words and snapped his fingers. My...my mom?

"Mom?" I reached out to touch her only to notice that she was choking. Someone was choking her. I turned to that person...

Kayden was choking her!

"Let her go! Let her go now!" I screamed but he only seemed to tighten the rope on her neck even further and his face bore a sadistic smirk. That smirk ignited something in me; it made something break in me.

I felt my blood pumping faster than ever; I could feel the fire ignite from my heart and spread to every vein in my body like a coursing river. Overwhelming energy hummed around me and I embraced it with the fibre of my being.

Suddenly, that energy made itself known on my fingertips and burst into a giant ball of flames. It seemed like my whole body had burst into one big ball of burning fire and even the grass around me burned with the same fire.

I turned my smouldering gaze to my dying mother and back to that of Kayden. Without a second thought, I threw one of the balls of flame to Kayden only for him to catch it and change it to a ball of ice. If infuriating me was his aim, well mission accomplished.

I gathered up all my anger in my right hand and pounded the ground. The flames erupted from the ground to where he was standing and he flew a few feet away from where I was standing.

"Well done. You have harnessed your power of fire. A bit unstable, but it will do. We move on to telekinesis." He rose and snapped his fingers and my mother disappeared. I narrowed my eyes at him and attempted to aim another fireball at him. "Wait, wait. It's just a mirage; it's not real."

"But why would you do something like that?"

"Your fire only burns when you are angry or provoked. I guessed hurting your mother provoked you the most. You must learn to control it or else, the darkness will take over you."

"But why would you do something like that?" I growled.

"I'm sorry Red."

"Don't call me Red, Kay!"

"Don't call me Kay, Reds!"

"Don't call me Reds, Kay-kay! Ha! Call me Red and I'm going to call you Kay-kay!"

He narrowed his eyes at me and shook his head silently and sat on the grass. "Are you hungry?"

"Yeah, I guess." I sat on the patch of grass beside Kayden.

He snapped his fingers and a picnic blanket floated in the air, dropping slowly to the ground and a few muffins popped up out of thin air. A teapot and two cups floated around me before the teapot poured out its contents into the cup.

"Milk?" I nodded and another teapot poured milk out into my cup.

"How do you do that?" I asked, staring at the teapot pouring some tea out in another cup. "You know, the stuff with the floating and making things appear and disappear?"