𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 8

An hour later and they had not returned; I became worried. After cleaning up the kitchen and checking through my social media posts, I paced up and down the living room while chewing on my fingernails.

Where are they? I went to the patio and looked out for any signs of Henry and his siblings.

Nothing.

Henry had told me not to leave the house, but he could be in danger. They all could be in danger. Oh, forget it. I took two daggers and hid them in the sleeve of the sweater, changed into the largest pair of pants in Addison’s closet—sorry, Addy—and marched out the door and into the woods.

❀❀❀

I tracked their trail for at least 15 minutes into the middle of the forest where they stopped at the base of a tree and simply stopped. I looked around and noticed some kind of animal’s prints in the forest ground.

Wolves.

On a further survey, I saw that their clothes were torn to shreds and littered on the floor. Walking further into the forest, my subconscious reminded me that I was too far from home, yet something called me to walk further. I was about to turn to go home when something red demanded my attention.

I crouched ex and studied the almost dried liquid. The sticky red substance that fooled me at first glance into thinking it was probably spilt pudding turned out to be blood.

I stood up and took in my surroundings. The spot resembled that of a crime scene. Oh, no. What if the wolves got to them first? I shook my head to clear my mind of negativity. I needed to find them.

“Henry! Addy, Evan!” I called out loud. “This isn’t funny anymore! Jasper! Henry!”

I walked even deeper into the forest. All the while I yell their names hoping for a response. When I received nothing in response, I sighed and stopped in my tracks. There was a person in between some trees, just about two metres away.

“Henry?” I lifted my hand to block the rays of the sun from getting into my eyes. The person began to advance towards me, taking his precious time. As he got closer, something didn’t feel right; his manner of gait didn’t feel right.

I drew my first dagger and held it tightly, assuming a slightly crouched position as the person walked closer. On reaching about a few centimetres away, further, inspection produced warning bells in my mind. Without thinking, I threw the dagger with all my strength and watched as it sailed through there intending to hit the person between the eyes.

With a flick of his wrist, he threw the knife off course and it clattered to the ground. Widening my eyes, I turned to run away, only to be stopped in my tracks by another man, only slightly shorter.

In the blink of an eye, he was in front of me, and I gaped in surprise. “How did you… Who are you?” I asked as I stumbled back.

When he was close enough, I finally got to see his face. Dark red eyes, a hook nose and pink lips painted with a smirk adorned a pale chiselled face. A handsome face that bore nothing but coldness and hatred. I shivered slightly when I realized I was cornered like a mouse. The man behind me looked like the one in front of me. They were both dressed in a black shirt, black ripped jeans, combat boots and a leather jacket.

The man in front of me smirked and reached out to twirl a curl around his finger and sniffed it. “So, you are the one he loves, huh?”

“What are you talking about?” Emotions—fear, shock and disgust—twisted my guts and I suddenly became dizzy. “Who are you talking about? What did you do to Henry?”

They laughed evilly and teeth like fangs glistened in the sunlight. “Naïve little girl. The Alpha didn’t tell you what you got yourself into when you stepped foot into his house, did he?” the taller man cackled.

“What did you do to him? What did you do to them?” I asked, trembling in fear. “What are you?”

The shorter man grabbed hold of my neck and lifted me, choking me. I sputtered and scratched his hands, trying to get him to release me. “Let…me go…” With a flick of his wrist, he flung me aside and I hit my head against the trunk of a tree.

I felt warm liquid trickle from the back of my head, and spots clouded my vision. With speed as fast as the wind, the taller man stood in front of me leaning down to stare at my face. “So weak,” he commented with disdain.

Rage clouded all sane reasoning and anger overtook my emotions. With a sudden burst of energy, I withdrew my second dagger and stabbed him in the neck. When he screamed in, I smiled with satisfaction relishing his horror-stricken face.

Suddenly, he began to laugh. His partner also began to laugh, while my smile slowly disappeared from my face until confusion took over my features. I rose steadily, holding a hand in front of me.

“Stupid cow.” The man pulled the knife from his neck and it clattered to the ground. Within three seconds, the wound closed up and he stood in front of me in the blink of an eye. “You don’t get it, do you? You humans are so foolish and senseless.”

He hit me across my face and I tumbled to the ground. Then he kicked my stomach, knocking the breath out of my lungs. I groaned in agony, clutching my stomach. “What…are…you…?”

A brief rustle of the wind lifted my hair off my face and the men stopped in their tracks, sniffing the air. When I caught sight of their eyes, I gasped.

Bright red eyes stared at me with anger. The tall man grinned and tucked my hair away from my face. “Vampire’s, my dear. And you smell so enticing and tempting. Your blood will surely be a replenishment to our strength.”

With that comment, he stomped on my hand with as much force to break the boned in my fingers. I heard the unbelievable crunch before I felt it, but when I did, I yelled out my excruciating pain to the forest and those in it. He forcefully yanked my head up, taking a whiff of my blood—which was disgusting—and I felt his fangs graze my skin.

Too tired to do anything, I let my body hang limp in the vampire’s hands, about to close my eyes when I heard the best sound in the world. “Let her go!”

Henry…