𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 1

Summertime in Oklahoma came with light showers and a broken heart. Watching the rain dribble down my bedroom window, I couldn’t help but sigh, drawing on my fogged breath on the window. The police had been on my case since the death of my ex-boyfriend.

That feels so weird—saying ‘ex’.

Since I was the last person seen with him, I was a supposed ‘suspect’ in his murder.

Summer will be coming soon, and I had already gotten my heart broken twice. Friends had turned their backs on me, and I felt so alone.

 Well, except Kevin and Jenny. They are my best friends and such sweethearts. Only recently, they moved to Seattle. Unexpectedly, of course. 

This spring, I planned to move to Seattle to stay with my dad. Oklahoma already had enough secrets as it is. I sigh again, wishing for a change in scenery.

“Chloe, dinner time,” my mom called from the kitchen. 

“Coming!” I rolled off the bed and trudged downstairs, taking a moment to reminisce on the picture of my family in the hallway, I smiled.

Funny thing, though, I have fiery red hair, and neither my mom nor my dad has a speck of red hair. My mom says hers was red before she dyed it brown. I guess that made me special.

“Will you set the table, honey?” my mom asked as she checked on the lasagna in the microwave. I smile flitted onto my face and I leaned on the kitchen doorpost.

“It's only for two people, why the fuss, mom?” One look from my mom and I raised my hands in surrender and pushed myself off the doorpost. I grabbed the plates from the cupboard and began to set the table. 

Once dinner was ready, we settled down and held hands like a normal family—that’s ironic—to pray. “For the food before us, we thank thee, Oh Lord. Help us to have a heart of gratitude even as there are some that do not have,” my mom prayed.

“Amen,” we chorused.

After about a minute into dinner, I dropped the bomb. “Mom, I would like to change schools and stay with dad in Seattle.”

Her fork clattered to on the plate and she stared at me with wide eyes. I held my breath for what felt like an eternity. “Why?” she finally asked. “Why? Why do you want to leave? Don't you like it here? Is it me? I'm too irksome, aren’t I?”

“No, no, no.” I grabbed her hands, patting them for reassurance. “I just…I just need a change in scenery.”

“Honey, if there’s anything I know, is that you hate the rain. Tell me why you want to go to Seattle.”

I took a breath in and prayed for confidence. “I want to be with dad for a while and I know you both have your differences, but he's my dad. I love him as much as I do you.”

“Chloe,” she sighed. “It's not that simple, you wouldn’t understand.”

“Then make me understand. What are you afraid of mom?”

“I'm afraid of letting you go to a man that wasn’t even there when you needed him most, Chloe.” For the first time, my mom raised her voice at me, stunning me. 

“I'm afraid of letting you go, only for something bad to happen to you. I'm afraid of letting you go to your anger. Your rage. And I know that you killed Jude, and do not deny it. I'm afraid of losing you.”

She stared blankly at her food before she abruptly rose. “We will discuss this tomorrow. Go to bed.” She hid her face from my scrutinizing gaze, but I could have sworn I saw her eyes flash gold. Probably my imagination.  

She swallowed a sob when she raced upstairs. “Mom…I'm sorry.”

There goes my appetite.

With an empty stomach, after washing the dishes and whispering an apology to my mother, I laid on my bed, listening to the gentle pitter-patter of the rain. I sigh and make a wish. 

I wish things weren’t so complicated. I wish my life wasn’t so complicated. I wish to know what true love feels like…

Not long after, I am overwhelmed with exhaustion and drowsiness. I close my eyes, just as a shooting star passes overhead. 

❀❀❀

Meanwhile, in Seattle…

A wolf watched the moon when a shooting star passed across. In a desperate plea, the wolf closed his eyes and muttered, I wish to find what my heart longs for. I wish to find the one…

When he realized what he had done, he smirked and pushed himself off the cliff. Such a foolish request, he thought, before he plunged into the water…

❀❀❀

Sunlight filtered through my window, its beam shining on my face and my alarm going off simultaneously. I groaned and threw the covers over my head. 

After an internal debate with myself, I finally gathered enough willpower to roll off my bed and into the bathroom. I freshened up and threw on a polo shirt and denim, pairing it off with a pair of white sneakers.

Hair in double pigtails and I was racing downstairs to the smell of freshly made pancakes. “Good morning, mom.” I hugged her and began to set the table. 

“Good morning, baby, how was your night?” she asked when she flipped the pancake she was working on. 

“It was nice, thanks.” A moment of silence passes between us before I spoke again. “Um, about last night, I'm sorry mom. I didn’t know it was a touchy subject for you.”

“Honey, it wasn’t your fault. I should have understood that you need to be free and not cooped up like a pet. You're 16. I should respect that and not be sentimental about it. I’m sorry.”

I dropped the plate I was holding and wrapped my arms around my mom. “It's okay, mom. I'm fine with staying here with you, honest.”

“No. It's time for you to visit your dad.” She patted my hair and leaned her cheek on my temple. “You can go stay with your dad. At least, until I am ready to see him.”

I gasped and lifted my face to look at her face. “Really mom? You mean it?”

“Of course.” I squealed like a little girl and jumped excitedly. My mom, chuckled, watching me jump with joy. 

“I promise you, mom, you won't regret this.”

“I'm sure I won't,” she chuckled when she focused on making breakfast with a faraway look on her face, and a doubtful gaze in her eyes. “I hope I won't.”