𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 23

We walked through the stone path in the middle of the garden before I saw a young boy, about twenty years of age with jet black hair, floating cross-legged in the air with his back turned to us.

Some books seemed at least a hundred years old floating around him as he muttered some strange words in an unknown language.

Henry put a finger to his lips and tip-toed soundlessly to the boy, who still had his back to us, and crouched down. Just as he was about to pounce, the boy snapped his fingers and Henry floated above the ground just like the boy.

“Don’t even think about it, wolf boy!”

Henry huffed and crossed his arms as his lips made a slight pout. “You’re no fun anymore. Now put me down.”

“As you wish.” In a snap of his fingers, Henry was dropped to the floor like a bag of marbles, earning a chuckle from me while he glared at me.

The black-haired boy dropped to the floor on his feet and the books arranged themselves in a neat pile and dropped on a table in the far corner of the garden.

The boy turned to us and I used that opportunity to study him carefully. He had long black hair that stopped at his shoulders and had a slight curl at the tips, deep piercing blue eyes that looked like lightning had found its way into them.

His eyes looked like they were staring into my soul. He has plump pink lips and a slight build. He wore a black hoodie with black sweatpants—which was quite odd for a wizard—and brown sandals. In other words, he was definitely attractive.

“And who is this beautiful redhead?” he asked, staring at me curiously.

“Um, are you the wizard?” I asked as he stepped to me and tilted his head to the side.

He smiled softly. “The one and only Kayden.”

“Your name is Kayden? I was expecting something like Merlin or Gandalf from ‘Lord of the Rings’.”

He laughed out loud. “No…I have a human name. My faery name is probably what you are asking for.”

“What I it?” I asked curiously. “Your faery name, that is.”

“I cannot tell you that. If a fae tells a human their real name, it gives them power over us, and it gives them the ability to control us.” I mouthed an ‘oh’. “So,” he clapped his hands and a stool appeared behind me and Henry and pushed us to sit, “let’s talk about your ability to control fire.”

Kayden snapped his fingers and some books floated around us. “Ya maök tuma yakü,” he muttered. A leather-back book floated to his waiting hands. He opened it and read a passage from it.

Hair like that of fire,
Blows so vibrant in the winter.

Blessed or cursed from birth,
Her fate is sealed when love is sought.

As soon as he spoke those words, I felt a burn—energy—from my chest spread to my feet where they were in contact with the ground to my fingers where the energy pulsed and grew stronger, humming softly in a rhythmic tone. I grabbed my chest and dropped to one knee, panting loudly.

“What’s happening to her?” I heard Henry ask frantically. Energy consumed me and warmth blanketed around me as the pulse became louder with each second. “Stop! You’re hurting her!”

“Don’t touch her; she needs to do this alone.”

Then it was still. I opened my eyes and gasped. My vision had been heightened and the sounds became even more accentuated. I stood up slowly and turned my head to look at Henry and Kayden who stood with open mouths.

I caught a glimpse of my hair; if possible, it became a bit darker, shinier and has more bounce. When I looked at my hands, balls of fire flickered in my palms. I sucked in a breath.

When I lifted my head, Henry and Kayden had knelt on one knee with heads bowed.

“Hail to the Red Wolf.”