𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 6

Dᴇᴅɪᴄᴀᴛᴇᴅ Tᴏ @grateful12345

❀❀❀

“Well, welcome to my room,” Henry said and flicked the light on. His room was pretty nice. A bed with black covers stood in the middle of the room, and a desk that had some books and a MacBook was at the right corner of the room.

A door was on the left of the room—probably leading to the bathroom—and his closet was beside it. There was a shelf of books and novels—he even had Claire Bishop’s Forgotten series. I smiled. Staying here may not be so bad after all.

“Your room’s kind of nice,” I commented.

“Thanks. I would have cleaned up, I just wasn’t expecting visitors.” He turned to stare at me with dark eyes. “I wasn’t expecting an angel to walk into my room,” he added in a husky voice.

I swallowed and rubbed my hands on my jeans when he inched closer to me and tugged at my ponytail, watching as it bounced back into place. “You should let down your hair.” I blinked at him.

He smiled softly and let go of my hair, walking to his closet. He pulled out a red hoodie and a pair of grey joggers. “It's going to be pretty cold tonight, so you can wear this,” Henry said and handed the clothes over to me. “Your room is right beside mine. To your right.”

I took the clothes and tried to calm my pounding heart. “Thanks,” I muttered and turned to go. “And thanks for the save.” I smiled at him and his face lit up like a Christmas tree. I left with a feeling of satisfaction.

I opened the door to the room he directed me to and gazed in surprise. The room was designed exactly like the one back home in Oklahoma. I smiled as a feeling of nostalgia hit me.

There was a card on the vanity that enticed my curiosity. It read,

‘ℐ 𝒽ℴ𝓅ℯ 𝓎ℴ𝓊 𝓁ℴ𝓋ℯ 𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓈 𝒶𝓅ℴ𝓁ℴℊ𝓎 ℊ𝒾𝒻𝓉. 𝓘 𝓪𝓶 𝓈ℴ𝓇𝓇𝓎.’

My heart warmed at his thoughtful gesture and I instantly swooned. This boy may not be so bad after all.

After taking a good bath, I changed into the clothes Henry gave to me. When I tried to wear the joggers, they kept slipping from the knot I made, so I had to do without them.

I guess I won’t be doing any jumping jack’s anytime soon.

I sighed and was tying up my hair when someone knocked on the door. “Come in,” I yelled as I trudged to the bed and sat down.

A head with black hair appeared behind the door. “Hi, just wanted to tell you that dinner’s in five,” a calm face said.

“Okay.” I called him back before he turned to go. “You’re Evan, right?”

He nodded and closed my door with a soft click. I sighed and assumed a starfish position on the bed. Dinner. My day was not planned out for this at all.

But, so what if it’s just dinner. It’s not like it’s a date or anything. I stilled when the absurd thought of us dating crept into my mind like a grapevine. I shook my head to clear the ridiculous thought and rolled off the bed.

Downstairs, the amazing smell of homemade pizza tickled my nostrils and forced me to approach the kitchen. I leaned on the doorpost and waited for the person to lift his head.

When he did, I couldn’t help the gasp that escaped from my lips. Henry turned around in surprise removing the pair of headphones on each ear. Caught, I turned to walk away when his smooth and silky voice halted me in my tracks.

“Wait. Where are you going?” he worriedly asked as if the idea of me walking away from him was foreign. “You can’t just walk in here and when you have my attention, just walk away.”

I turned around to tell him it was a mistake I made for coming here when his sudden closeness shocked me. "Damn, I forgot what a girl wearing my clothes does to me." He tugged on one of the stray curls from the messy bun atop my head. "So fücking beautiful."

My breath caught in my throat when he leaned down and whispered in my ear, his warm breath was a soft caress to my body and it had me involuntarily lowering my eyelids, succumbing to desire. “Now that you have me, milaya, what are you going to do about me?”

❀❀❀

Dinner was wonderful. Jasper had us laughing with his constant jokes, and Henry introduced me to Addison—his younger sister and Evan’s twin—and she was the direct opposite of Evan when it came to character. Unlike Evan, she was cheerful and lively, and she reminded me of my mom.

I sat in a chair on the patio gazing at the stars and possibly waiting for a shooting star. A useless request.

My grandfather once told me that if wishes were flowers, we’d all have a bouquet. Now, I began to wonder if wishes actually did anything for anyone, and if it did, would I be here? Would my dad and mom go through a rough patch? Would—

“Can’t sleep?” Henry’s warm voice called me back to the present. I blinked in surprise and stretched my aching limbs.

“No, not really. I’m just thinking,” I replied, trying as hard as I could not stare at the way his hair seemed to light up in the light emitted by the fairy lights when he leaned against the door frame. “What are you doing here?”

I grunted and nodded my head, staring straight into the dark in the direction of the forest. A comfortable silence wrapped us like a blanket. “So where are your parents?” I asked, breaking the silence like a ball thrown at a glass window.

I watched as his face seemed to grow cold at the question. He lowered his head and picked at the skin on his nails. At that moment, I felt like taking a picture of him; he looked like a fallen angel, a magnificent one at that.

“They don’t…they don’t live here with us.”

“Oh.”

“Yeah…” He looked up from his fingers and stared at me. Slowly, he walked towards where I sat and crouched beside me. He pushed a loose curl behind my ear and caressed my cheek, making my skin tingle. “Beautiful,” he whispered.

Then he surprised me by leaning down and kissing me on my forehead. The simple gesture made my heart race with excitement and my skin heat up to a thousand degrees. I felt a blush creeping its way to my skin and spreading out across my nose. Henry grinned when he caught wind of my reaction, and whispered, “You should go to bed. You have no idea of what kind of monsters might be lurking in the shadows.”

As if under a spell, I rose with glazed eyes and walked to the door leading inside. “Chloe.” I turned to meet his tender brown eyes. “Good night,” he said with a smile. I returned the smile and walked away, feeling giddy on the inside.