⚘one⚘

My name is Diana Featherington. My father was the younger brother of the Baron Featherington. He died when I was five a year after my mother died in childbirth. I was taken in by the Baron Featherington and his wife Lady Featherington. I moved from my family home in the country to London. Though with my father having no sons our country home and everything inside was left to me as well as a substantial amount of money. I hope that one day when I am married my husband will like to live in the country.

This is the year that I make my societal debut along with my cousins Prudence, Philipa, and Penelope. Even though Penelope is the youngest I seem to get along with her the best. She is kind and thoughtful and has actually read a book in her lifetime. In another place and another time I would pursue an education. I am fortunate that I was able to convenience my Uncle to let me finish my education. Poor Penelope is not so fortunate. Her mother insisted that she debut this year when all Penelope wants to do is learn.

Today is a most important day, and for some a terrifying one, for today is the day London's marriage-minded misses are presented to Her Majesty the Queen. Aunt Featherington will be the one presenting us. She can be very particular about our appearances. Prudence is being forced into an impossibly tight corset by her lady's maid.

"Tighter," Aunt Featherington demands. "Tighter!"

"Is she to breathe, Mama?" Penelope questions.

"I was able to squeeze my waist into the size of an orange and a half when I was Prudence's age. Your sister shall do the same," Aunt Featherington insists.

Once all ready we make haste from the house. As we are leaving so are the Bridgerton family who lives across the street from us. After the passing of their father the oldest son, Anthony, acquired his title of Viscount. After him is Benedict, the second son and someone I have pined over for years. Next is Colin who only recently came back home after finishing his studies. Daphne is the oldest daughter and my closest friend. She is also making her debut today and I know she is very excited and nervous much like I. Eloise is the next daughter and Penelope's closest friend. They both value education more than any other girls I have ever met. Viscountess Bridgerton has agreed to let Eloise sit this season out and make her debut next year. Francesca is next followed by the youngest son Gregory, who is only a year older than Hyacinth the youngest Bridgerton.

I wave to Daphne and she waves back with a smile. I catch Benedict's eye and he offers a reassuring smile and nod.

I feel as though I should have more nerves than I do. Making a good impression is a requirement if I hope to find a decent husband. my problem thought is that I do not know if I believe in love. My Aunt and Uncle do not seem to have love for each other at all. I have been told from a young age that I will learn to love my husband, but what if I do not? What if I wind up in a loveless marriage? I would have no escape. No way of finding happiness. But I want children and the only respectable way for me to have any is with a husband.

Penelope, Prudence, and Philipa are standing in front of me. I stand with Aunt Featherington waiting for us to be announced.

"Miss Prudence Featherington, Miss Philipa Featherington, Miss Penelope Featherington, and Miss Diana Featherington... all presented by their mother/aunt, the Right Honorable Lady Featherington."

Prudence, Philipa, and Penelope all try to get through the small door at the same time. After they force their way through with much difficulty I follow after them with Aunt Featherington. We walk down the hall stopping in front of Her Majesty the Queen. Aunt Featherington hits Penelope as she looks at the ceiling instead of at Her Majesty. We all curtsy with each of us varying in posture. I know I am the only one to do it correctly. My cousins, though taught properly, are diamonds in the rough. Her Majesty makes a face before standing up. It is only the Queen's eye that matters today. A glimmer of displeasure and a young lady's value plummets to unthinkable depths.