⚘four⚘

There will forever be just two words that come to this author's mind the morning after any good party, "shock" and "delight." Well, dear reader, the scandalous accounts from last night's soiree at Vauxhall are quite shocking and delightful indeed. Emerging, phoenix-like from the ashes of irrelevance, is one Miss Daphne Bridgerton. The illustrious debutante was seen dancing not once, but twice with the season's most eligible and most uncatchable rake, the Duke of Hastings.

I sit with my cousins in the parlor.

"Of course I don't know. How would I know? Because I can't ask her. Because I don't know how it happened. It's disturbing!" Penelope says.

"What are you girls talking about?" Aunt Featherington questions.

"Penelope is wondering about Miss Thompson," Prudence states.

"Prudence..." Penelope tries to cut her off.

"What of Miss Thompson?" Aunt Featherington asks.

"Penelope has inquiries," Prudence tells her.

"If you do not fall silent..." I warn. "About Miss Thompson's condition."

"I beg your pardon?" Aunt Featherington says.

"They know, ma'am," Mrs Varley informs her.

"How did it happen, Mama? Is there to be a baby?" Penelope asks.

"That will be enough." Aunt Featherington turns to her husband. "My lord, are you hearing this? What are we going to do?"

"There's no need for your hysterics," Lord Featherington tells her.

"Why is Miss Thompson to be kept away?" Penelope questions.

"Because her condition is catching," Aunt Featherington tells us.

I sit with Daphne and her family in their parlor. Daphne is playing the pianoforte as I sit beside her.

"Two dances? With a Duke?" Hyacinth asks.

"He was quite taken with your sister, Hyacinth. The entire party was, for that matter. All eyes were on Daphne," Lady Bridgerton tells her. She holds a plate out to Daphne. "At least enjoy some toast, dearest."

"I am not hungry, Mama," Daphne tells her.

"Are you certain the entire party was not simply eyeing a tear in her dress?" Colin offers.

"Or a misstep she took on the dance floor?" Benedict remarks.

"I do wonder, Daphne, might we count on the Duke at the Crawford ball?" Lady Bridgerton asks.

"I should think it a fair chance," Daphne tells her mother.

"What about the Ramsbury ball, Friday? Oh! And what about the grand picnic?" Lady Bridgerton asks.

"We shall see, Mama," Daphne tells her.

"How terrible for Fran that she'll be off practicing pianoforte with Aunt Winnie all season and Daphne's engagement to the Duke," Hyacinth says.

"Did Francesca leave for Bath already?" Gregory asks.

Eloise rushes into the room. "How does a lady come to be with child?"

I nearly choke on my tea.

Lady Bridgerton stands up and walks towards her. "Eloise, what a question!"

"I thought one needed to be married," Eloise states.

"What are you talking about?" Daphne questions.