⚘twenty four⚘

A march down the aisle may very well be the longest walk any young lady ever takes. It does not simply cover the length of the church, but rather, countless floors for dancing, and meandering paths for every afternoon promenade too. It is a wonder, then, that feet do not tire or, heaven forbid, trip under the scrutiny of all those attentive eyes keeping close watch, indeed.

Anthony is to be married tomorrow. As is tradition for most young men the night before he is celebrating with his brothers. I wake as I feel the bed sink beside me. I turn to face Benedict. I can tell before he even opens his mouth that he and his brothers were drinking for hours. Benedict laughs as he wraps his arms around me.

"You over indulged," I tell him.

"Maybe," Benedict says with another laugh. "But who could blame me?" He nuzzles his face into the crook of my neck.

"Was Anthony alright?" I ask. "Since deciding to hurry things along?"

"He was one about his duties of being a first born son again," Benedict tells me. "That he is required to have a viscountess. And soon we will have a tiny Anthony to contend with, running around, declaring all of his tiny duties too, no doubt."

"If he is happy we must simply support him," I tell Benedict. Benedict rolls over to lie almost on top of me. "You are crushing me, dear."

"You are comfortable and I am tired," Benedict tells me.

I sigh and stop my protests. Benedict's breathing evens out and I can tell he is already asleep. I cannot stop thinking about Anthony and the mistake he is going to make if he marries Miss Edwina.

Benedict and I are at the Bridegrton home so we may all head to the ceremony together. Colin looks as if he did not sleep at all last night.

"He has taken my ribbon!" Hyacinth shouts.

"I have done you a service," Gregory says.

"Do not chase each other," Lady Bridgerton scolds. "Or, well, perhaps do not catch each other. You must look presentable. Why does no one truly seem ready for this wedding? Mrs. Wilson!"

Colin finally sits up. "Oh, Mother. Please, not so loud."

"Whatever you have done to your brother, undo it," Lady Bridgerton tells Benedict.

Benedict whistles as he stands up. He is holding a flask in his hand.

"I may never reach your capacity for drink, Brother," Colin tells him.

"It's a simple remedy. If you continue to drink, there can be no after-effects," Benedict tells him.

I make a face at him. He knows I do not like when he over indulges.

"If only you would use your powers for good," Eloise says.

"Has anyone seen Anthony?" Lady Bridgerton asks. No one answers. "Benedict, see that he is well. I am sure the emotions of the day have somewhat confused him."

"Mother," Anthony greets as he finally walks into the room.

"Anthony. You are ready?" Lady Bridgerton asks.

"Of course I am. Born ready, in fact," Anthony insists. "Shall we?"

Benedict is to act as Anthony's best man. I cannot sit quietly anymore. I have to speak to Anthony. I head to the room where Anthony and Benedict are waiting for the ceremony to start..

Benedict looks at me curiously. "Diana? What are you doing here?"

"I need to speak with Anthony," I tell him. "Alone."