⚘six⚘

Dearest gentle reader, it is often said that those who marry in haste must repent at leisure, a sentiment that is clearly shared by Miss Daphne Bridgerton, who has apparently rejected not one, not two, but three proposals already this week. Some believe she is showing admirable forethought in her deliberations, but I would venture a different conjecture, that she, like this author, is still waiting on the only suitor of note.

Penelope and I are waiting for the post to arrive. Since Marina is still locked in her room Penelope and I have been searching the mail every day for a letter from Spain.

"Post has arrived!"

I smile at Penelope as we rush down the stairs.

"Some prince is coming to London," Prudence tells Philipa.

Philipa gasps. "Then I shall wear my most brilliant dress of all."

"Something must hold his interest, as it will certainly not be your conversation," Prudence remarks.

Penelope shuffles through the letters on the try that a servant holds. She frowns, not finding any letter. We head to tell Marina the news.

"Anything?" Marina questions. Penelope and I shake our heads. Marina throws herself down on the bed. "How long does it take for a letter to arrive from Spain?"

"Sir George is with the front line. It must be difficult to get letters in and out," I reason.

"You must be patient. If your love is as great as your previous letters state, surely he will write back to you soon. Or perhaps, even better, he's already making his way back to you here to come and take you home," Penelope says.

Aunt Featherington burst through the door followed by Mrs Varley. "Penelope Featherington! What did I tell you about cavorting with the expectant?"

"Marina has been in here for ages, Mama!" Penelope says.

"Out. Out." Aunt Featherington pulls Penelope away from Marina. "Out!" She turns to me. "You as well Diana."

Penelope and I watch from the door.

"You cannot hide me away forever," Marina states.

"No, I cannot, which is why you are to reenter society at once and find yourself a husband," Aunt Featherington tells her.

"I do not want..." Marina starts.

Aunt Featherington cuts her off, "What you want became immaterial long ago. You shall wed, and you shall do it as soon as possible. You are to be fitted for a new wardrobe. It's about time you dressed in the family colors anyway."

"That poor girl," I remark.

"It is not fair what mama is doing to her," Penelope states.

I shake my head. "It is not. No one should be punished for finding love."

Another day means another social event. Aunt Featherington however will not let Marina attend until she has a new wardrobe fitted. She has yet to start showing, but I assume Aunt Featherington is planning ahead.

I dance with a few suitors here and there. Penelope, Prudence, and Philipa have still yet to have any callers of their own. I feel sorry for them. They stand around and watch as everyone else is dancing and chatting.

Benedict smiles as he walks towards me. "And how did you find your eligible bachelors?"

"I must confess, I have felt more chemistry when being fitted at the modiste," I state.

"The prince is from Prussia, and I dare say that I just caught his eye," Prudence says.

Her and Philipa walk past Benedict and I.