⚘sixteen⚘

Tonight, is the first ball of the season. Though I thought about staying home with William, Benedict and I have decided to attend. William is asleep by the time we leave anyway. It is not as if I am missing much. And if I am honest, I do so much enjoy the idea of a ball without the pressure of finding a husband.

The conservatory Lady Danbury is hosting her ball in is magnificent. I smile widely as I cross the threshold with Lady Bridgerton, Anthony, Eloise, and Benedict.

Eloise is wiggling around messing with her dress.

"Stop fussing with your dress," Anthony tells her.

"You look lovely, dear," Lady Bridgerton tells her.

"I look like a prize calf, trussed up for auction," Eloise insists.

I shove Benedict as he moos at his sister. He smiles cheekily.

"Even Daphne felt most apprehensive at her first official ball, and look how well her season turned out," Lady Bridgerton offers.

"Oh, right," Eloise remarks.

A rather meekly young fellow starts towards Eloise. I grab hold of her arm.

"Come, Eloise," I tell her. "The cakes at these occasions are surprisingly good."

Eloise and I make leave from the young man.

"You are my favorite sister-in-law," Eloise tells me.

"I am your only sister-in-law currently." I laugh. "But I do appreciate the sentiment."

Eloise and I split ways so that she may find Penelope.

"Here you are."

I smile at Benedict as he walks towards me. "Here I am."

Benedict smiles widely. "You will not believe what my mother did after you Eloise walked off."

I look at him curiously. "What did she do?"

"Promptly declared Anthony's intentions to marry this season," Benedict tells me.

I laugh. "At least he will now have his choice in dance partners. Maybe some more interviews."

"He knows nothing of love," Benedict tells me.

"Not yet," I reason. "I trust he will find someone this season. When he learns to let go." I smile. "I have heard my own gossip."

"Do tell," Benedict says.

I point to a rather beautiful woman walking with Lady Danbury. Two girls of marriage age trail behind them. "That is Lady Mary Sheffield Sharma."

Benedict nods his head. "Am I to know who that is?"

I laugh as I shake my head. "No. That is why I am here to tell you."

"Inform me, my love," Benedict says.

"Lady Mary was the incomparable of her season, until she fell in love with and married a clerk. The two of them absconded to India thereafter," I tell him. "The man was no more than a common worker who already had a child."

"She is rather brave," Benedict says.

"For coming back?" I ask.

"That and for daring to leave in the first place," Benedict tells me.

"She was in love," I reason. "You and I were ready to run off to Gretna Green last year ourselves."

Benedict laughs. "It feels like a lifetime ago."

Lady Bridgerton walks towards Benedict and me. "Have you seen your brother or your sister?"

"They managed to escape you? Good for them," Benedict remarks as he grabs my hand leading me away from his mother.