⚘twenty one⚘

If the Ancient Greeks were members of the ton, they might have added to their Olympic pentathlon one additional event. The hosting of a country visit. This, of course, is the week of Lady Bridgerton's annual Hearts and Flowers Ball, the year's most coveted invitation in the country, and no event better designed to show the might and mettle of its host.

I walk down the stairs with Lady Bridgerton and Daphne followed by Mrs Wilson. Lady Bridgerton has not only sought out Daphne's help for her ball but mine as well. While I have never hosted a ball like Daphne, I do have an appreciation for parties and have definitely learned a few things about planning them in my years.

"Miss Patridge requires large amounts of sugar for her morning tea, and Lord Abernathy, he will refuse to eat any meat that is not well-cooked, while Lady Abernathy will only consume her meat bloody, I am told," Lady Bridgerton says. "And make sure you put an extra blanket on Lord Weston's bed. I hear he feels the cold."

One of the maids is holding two rather large bouquets. "The roses and carnations have arrived, ma'am."

"You may wish to add in lilac, Mama," Daphne offers. "Symbolic of first love. And perhaps make the bouquets even bigger."

"I have taught you well," Lady Bridgerton says.

"If there is truly to be a proposal before the week is out, Anthony will need all the help he can get," Daphne reasons.

I find Benedict in the study painting. He has been painting more as of recently. I am happy. He should not give up everything he enjoys simply because we have a child now.

"Good morning, my love," Benedict greets.

I do not plan on being so forgetful as Benedict seems to be.

"We need to speak about last night," I state.

"I am sorry," Benedict tells me.

"Why?" I question. "Why did you do that?"

"Colin told me about the benefits that the opium could have in clearing my mind," Benedict explains. "I truly am sorry, Diana. I overdid it."

"Promise me you will not do it again," I demand.

Benedict takes my hands in his. "I promise."

I smile slightly. "And you will take me on the hunt."

"You truly wish to go on the hunt?" Benedict asks.

I nod my head. "I truly do." I smile. "It will be your punishment for last night."

Benedict smiles. "If my punishment is to spend time with you then I think I shall break the rules more often." He pulls me towards him into a kiss.

I stand with Daphne in the garden. The guests will be arriving soon, and Daphne is to greet them with Lady Bridgerton.

"I fear I still hardly know the lady my brother is planning to marry," Daphne confesses.

"I fear the same, Daph," I confess. "Though if I know Anthony, I would not doubt that he would like it to remain that way."

"Well, perhaps I should get to know her for him," Daphne offers.

I smile. "I think you the best option."

Once guests start to arrive, I try my hardest to find Penelope. I have not seen her in a week, and I must find out how things are faring for the Featheringtons.

"Oh, Pen!" I shout as I spot her. "Oh, you are finally here."

"It has only been a week, Diana," Penelope reminds me.