⚘twenty⚘

I step out onto the terrace. I am surprised to see Miss Sharma taking tea there.

"Good afternoon, Miss Sharma," I greet.

"Good afternoon, Mrs Bridgerton," Miss Sharma greets. "Would you care to join me for tea?"

I smile. "I would very much like to."

I sit down beside Miss Sharma, and she pours me a cup of tea.

"Might I ask you a question?" Miss Sharma asks.

"Of course," I tell her.

"What is it like to marry into the Bridgerton family?" Miss Sharma asks.

I laugh happily. "It is incredible. I never had much of a family growing up so marrying into this one has been a blessing."

"The whole family seems rather close," Miss Sharma states.

I nod my head. "Whoever marries into this family gains the love of all of them."

Eloise steps out onto the terrace book in hand. She smiles at Miss Sharma and me.

"You must not let the game of pall-mall dismay you. Antagonism is, I'm afraid, what you must expect," Eloise tells Miss Sharma. Eloise sits down on a sofa to read.

"Can I ask you something, Miss Eloise?" Miss Sharma questions.

"Did I purposely make the third wicket two inches narrower than last year? Yes," Eloise tells her. Miss Sharma laughs lightly. "Anything."

"I fear I may have upset the viscount during our game," Miss Sharma confesses.

"Ah. You were near our father's grave?" Eloise says. "Well, then his mood was not on your account. He rarely goes near if he can help it." Eloise stands up. "Can I ask you something? Was it your choice you never married? My brothers tell me I have a habit of being rather direct. But everyone tells me it is fate worse than death to end up a spinster. But you seem perfectly content with your situation."

Miss Sharma laughs lightly. "You must know, it is hardly ideal. The world is not exactly welcoming to an unmarried woman. There seems to be no place in society for us, except at the edge of things.

"That rather seems to be society's flaw, not a woman's," Eloise reasons.

"Indeed, it does," Miss Sharma agrees.

Eloise heads off to read her book somewhere else. I turn to Miss Sharma.

"I do not wish to pry," I tell her. "But... was it your choice? To never marry?"

Miss Sharma nods. "I put my sister first. Her happiness is what matters to me."

I nod my head. "I understand. Though I do not have any siblings of my own. My cousin Penelope means a lot to me. I would run any man out of town if they hurt her." Miss Sharma laughs. "But once Miss Edwina is married, have you thought about your own life? If you will marry?"

"I will go back to India," Miss Sharma tells me.

"Oh," I say, a little surprised. "Would you not wish to spend time with your future nieces and nephews."

"Of course, I will," Miss Sharma insists. "But I can do so by visiting from India."

I nod my head. "I can tell you have made up your mind."

Daphne and I sit in William's nursery. He and Augie are on the floor crawling around playing with toys. I smile widely.

"A year ago, I never would have imagined this is where our lives would lead us," I confess.