⚘twenty two⚘

I find Daphne in her room readying for her mother's ball.

"I have been looking all over for you," Daphne tells me.

"I have been busy with William," I tell her.

"And my brother," Daphne teases.

I cannot help but blush. "Why were you looking for me?"

"I wanted to ask about the hunt," Daphne tells me. "I cannot get a thing out of Anthony."

"Did you expect to?" I ask.

Daphne shakes her head. "I suppose not."

"It was a hunt like any other I suppose. Though we did not actually shoot anything," I tell her.

"And Anthony and Miss Sharma?" Daphne asks. "Did they speak much?"

"Some. Though I do not know what about," I tell her.

"It is just... I have always thought Anthony would marry someone more like him," Daphne tells me.

"Someone like Miss Sharma," I state.

Daphne nods slightly. "Though I would not admit it to anyone but you."

"I have known Anthony my whole life and I cannot help but feel the same," I confess. "Though we cannot do anything about it. Anthony will marry whoever he chooses whether he loves them or not."

Lady Bridgerton's ball is magnificent. I had no doubts about it. Benedict holds his hand out to me.

"Would you do me the honors of a dance?" Benedict asks.

I pretend to think about it before smiling. "How could I refuse my handsome husband?"

Benedict and I take to the floor. Then I realise he is not the only Bridgerton on the dance floor.

"You are not going to believe it," I state.

"Believe what?" Benedict asks.

"Eloise is dancing with Lord Morrison," I tell him.

Benedict turns me so he can get a look. "Surely my mother's doing."

"She does not look very happy about it," I offer.

Just then Eloise walks off of the dance floor away from Lord Morrison.

"Oh no," I remark.

"You know my sister does not like to dance," Benedict says.

"I do not mean it like that. Eloise does not like anything to do with courtship or finding a husband," I tell him. "But she must eventually."

"I would not hold my breath on that," Benedict states.

Benedict and I move from the dance floor towards a refreshment table. I notice at the start of the next song Anthony and Miss Sharma are dancing.

"Is this a night for strange dance partners?" I ask.

Benedict chuckles. "I suppose Miss Edwina should want her sister to talk to Anthony. She is awaiting a proposal from him."

"I suppose Miss Edwina would want her sister's permission," I reason. "Though I do not know why that must be given on a dance floor."

"When have the Bridgertons ever done anything at the proper time or place," Benedict jokes.

Just as suddenly as Eloise left Anthony does the same. He leaves Miss Sharma alone on the dance floor. Her sister looks worried. Maybe Miss Sharma said the wrong thing to Anthony.

I head out of the ballroom following after Anthony. I head to the study knowing he will be there. I do not bother to knock. I realise my mistake when I spot Anthony and Miss Sharma standing rather close to one another almost kissing.