⚘twenty six⚘

Lady Danbury and Lady Bridgerton have decided that it is best for both the Bridgerton and Sharma families to form a united front. I am attending a new gallery opening with the Sharmas, Lady Danbury, Lady Bridgerton, and Anthony. I am still angry with Benedict and wish to avoid him a little longer.

Anthony has a rose for each of the Sharmas and Lady Danbury. "Lady Danbury. Hmm. Lady Mary. Miss Sharma. Miss Edwina, I..." Miss Edwina takes the rose from Anthony and immediately hands it off to a footman.

"How thoughtful of you, Lord Bridgerton," Lady Danbury tells him.

"Now, remember, before we are to send out our invitations, we must appear to be enjoying each other's company," Lady Bridgerton says. "Shall we?"

As we enter the gallery all eyes are on the Sharmas and Bridgertons.

"Do not be deterred," Lady Danbury says. "If we can put the wedding behind us, so can they."

I stay with Lady Danbury and Lady Bridgerton.

"I must ask," Lady Bridgerton tells me. "Things with you and Benedict have seemed a little tense."

I sigh. "It is nothing we cannot work through."

Lady Bridgerton smiles slightly. "Such wise words. They will do you well in your marriage."

"Lady Danbury. Lady Bridgerton. Mrs Bridgeton," Lady Cowper greets. "What a surprise to see you here."

"You do know my family has its very own room here, yes, Lady Cowper?" Lady Danbury asks.

"Over there, is it not?" Lady Bridgerton says as she points to the sign above the door.

"The one with the, uh... Danbury name just above the door," Lady Danbury states.

"How nice it is to see you both. Though I'd have thought you required a respite after the strenuous events of the past week."

"Oh, on the contrary. Well, I myself am hosting a ball later this week," Lady Bridgerton tells her. "Have you not received an invitation?"

Lady Danbury pretends to be surprised. "Oh."

"My. Well... I will see if there is still room. We shall have a full house, no doubt," Lady Bridgerton tells the ladies.

When I arrive home Benedict is waiting for me.

"Diana," Benedict says.

I walk past him not bothering to stop.

"Diana, please," Benedict almost begs. He grabs onto my arm stopping me. "Please."

I finally stop and turn to face Benedict. I wait for him to speak.

"I am sorry, Diana," Benedict tells me.

"You have said that," I remind him.

"What was I did was stupid," Benedict says. "And I broke the promise I made to you."

"Why?" I ask. "Why did you break your promise?"

"I do not know," Benedict confesses. "It was just that I was struggling with my art and... and you told me that my art was rather good while I was on the tea."

"I did not mean for you to drink that horrendous tea every time you paint," I tell him.

"I know. I know. I did not mean to upset you," Benedict says.

"What did you think would happen?" I ask. "Or did you think I would not find out?" Benedict does not say anything. "And do not be angry with Anthony for telling me."

"I am not angry. If anything, I should be happy that my own brother is looking out for you," Benedict says. "I cannot tell you how sorry I am. And I need you to know that I did not sleep with anyone else. I would never dream of hurting you in that way." I nod relieved by the confession. "I think you should punish me how you see fit." I can see a small smile tugging on Benedict's lips.