⚘two⚘

The season's opening ball at Danbury House is a most highly sought-after invitation, indeed, for every darling debutante from Park Lane to Regent Street will be on display. Titled, chaste, and innocent, this is what they have been raised and trained for since birth. Tonight, we shall discover which young ladies might succeed at securing a match, thereby avoiding the dreadful, dismal condition known as "the spinster."

Lady Danbury is a most impressive woman. She is legendary. She runs this town. Unconcerned with the rules of polite society no one can tell her a thing or make her feel unworthy. Then again no one would dare try. I truly admire her.

As my cousins stand and wait for a man to ask them to dance I have no such problems. More than a few suitors have asked me to dance and each time I have obliged. Though I do not think any of them are my future husband.

I spot Daphne and Anthony taking a turn about the room. I smile as I make my way over to them.

"Daphne."

She smiles widely. "Oh. Di. I feel as though I have not seen you in ages."

I chuckle. "It has only been two days, but two days to many indeed." I smile at Anthony. "Anthony."

Anthony smiles. "Diana."

"I see you are doing a good job of keeping suitors away from, Daphne," I tease.

"If the only gentlemen present this evening are her brothers, then we're in a great deal of trouble, Indeed," Anthony remarks.

"You continue to say 'we'," Daphne says.

Benedict and Colin walk over towards us.

Benedict smiles at me. "Hello, Di."

I smile widely. "Benedict." I smile at Colin. "Colin."

"Hello Diana," Colin greets with a smile. He turns to Daphne. "Did Mother tell you yet? About my tour? I'm to begin in Greece."

"Greece? How adventurous, Colin!" Daphne remarks.

"Marvelous, Colin. Absolutely wonderful," I tell him.

"On guard!" Anthony warns.

Colin and Benedict both try to move away as Lady Danbury approaches us.

"Too late. I already noted you," Lady Danbury tells them.

"Lady Danbury," Benedict says.

"Good evening," Anthony greets.

Daphne and I curtsy as the boys bow.

"Miss Bridgerton, Miss Featherington you both look rather lovely this evening. Miss Featherington this is the first I've seen you off the dance floor." I smile. "But Miss Bridgerton is there a reason I've yet to see you on the dance floor?"

"All in good time, Lady Danbury," Anthony tells her.

"You poor thing," Lady Danbury says to Daphne before walking off.

"Who is that?" Colin asks.

"I'm sure I've never seen her," Benedict tells him.

I notice they are watching a girl. "That is Miss Marina Thompson, a distant cousin of Uncle Featherington," I tell Colin.

"So you know her?" Colin asks.

I nod my head. "Go dance with her. I can see it in your eyes that you want to."

Colin nods before joining the dance. Benedict and I start to take a turn around the room.

"Where are your cousins?" Benedict asks.