⚘nine⚘

Knowing that Anthony and the Duke have dueled this morning I head to the Bridgerton house early. Lady Bridgerton is sitting on a couch looking like she had a marvelous evening.

"Good morning Lady Bridgerton," I greet.

"Oh. Diana. Is it not a little early for you to be here?" Lady Bridgerton questions.

"I was hoping I could speak to Daphne about something," I explain.

Lady Bridgerton nods. "You are welcome to wait." She puts her head in her hand as her maids tend to her. "I did not overindulge. Truly, it was just a poor night of sleep."

"I shall fetch a glass of raw eggs and garlic, ma'am. Should be just the thing."

Daphne walks into the room.

"Are you feeling better, dearest? Perhaps I, too, caught whatever it was that sent you home early from the party. I have a terrible headache, indeed," Lady Bridgerton says. Daphne sighs. "What is it?"

"I am engaged," Daphne states.

I gasp. "Engaged?"

"Oh! Well, that is wonderful news. So, you will be a princess," Lady Bridgerton says.

"No," Daphne tells her.

"No?" Lady Bridgerton asks.

"No, I will not. Mama, I am engaged to the Duke. The Duke asked for my hand, and I accepted," Daphne explains.

Lady Bridgerton smiles for a moment. "You do not seem pleased. Whatever is wrong?"

"Oh no. No... Nothing is wrong. It simply happened so quickly. I've not had a moment to take it in. But I am overjoyed, Mama, truly," Daphne assures.

"Of course you are. You are to be a duchess!" I offer.

Lady Bridgerton pulls Daphne into a hug. "Oh, darling! I knew there was something between you... ruse or not! Well, tell me. Tell me everything! How do you feel?"

"So in love. I'm unsure how I can be expected to wait an entire month to marry. Could we not obtain a special license to marry this week? I do not wish to lie to you... But the Duke and I..." Daphne starts.

Lady Bridgerton cuts her off, "You do not need to tell me anything. Whatever happened between the two of you, it is all right. I know good society makes quite a fuss about such things... but when it comes to love, such things happen more frequently than one might expect. Even your father and I, we had trouble controlling our passions as well."

The housekeeper comes back in with a glass. "Your drink, ma'am."

"Will not be necessary, Wilson. I am feeling much improved. We have a wedding to plan in three days. My darling girl, you are getting what you always wanted. You are marrying for love," Lady Bridgerton muses.

One may say modesty is a virtue, yet this author is hardly a virtuous woman. It is therefore my great pleasure to announce the news others questioned, but I never doubted. The diamond of the season has made her match, officially betrothed to the Duke of Hastings. The bride, undoubtedly, is giddy with anticipation over the impending nuptials, an event that will apparently take place sooner rather than later. Of course, there are only two reasons to procure a special license and race to the altar: true love, or concealing a scandal.

Aunt Featherington stomps into the parlor. "It seems Mrs. Varley had some trouble at the modiste this morning. Madame Delacroix is refusing to give her any of the dresses until the last few months' bills are paid."

"The young ladies have plenty of dresses. Perhaps it is possible for them to wear them all again," Uncle Featherington offers.

"And perhaps it is possible for you to do without your tobacco as well!" Aunt Featherington grabs the pipe from Uncle Featherington's hand.

"Mr. Colin Bridgerton for Miss Thompson."

Colin walks into the room, flowers in hand.

"Oh, Mr. Bridgerton, these are beautiful," Marina tells him.

"I applaud you, Miss Thompson. I bring you flowers on each of my visits, and yet you react with admirable surprise every time. I shall need to bring you something unexpected. A bushel of tomatoes, perhaps," Colin jokes.

Marina laughs. "Oh!"

"Marina hates tomatoes," Penelope states.

"That is untrue. I love tomatoes," Marina insists.

"Colin, you know where I have heard you can get excellent tomatoes? Greece. Perhaps you could bring back a tomato plant for Miss Thompson as a souvenir when you return from your travels this year," Penelope offers.

"I am uncertain of my travels at the moment, Pen," Colin tells her.

"But you were so keen to travel," Penelope reminds him.

Marina looks at Penelope like she may pounce on her.

"It is true. But, were I to go, there may be things in London I should miss even more than seeing the world," Colin explains.

"Some tea, Mr. Bridgerton?" Aunt Featherington offers.

"That would be lovely," Colin tells her.

I have been waiting with Daphne. Anthony and the Duke have gone to obtain the marriage license.

"Denied?" Daphne and I ask at the same time.

"What on earth for?" Daphne questions.

"The archbishop of Canterbury did not think he owed me an explanation," Anthony explains.

"If we are to wait weeks for this wedding, it gives Cressida Cowper, not to mention Whistledown and anyone else, far too much time to uncover the truth of what happened in that garden," Daphne states. "Simon..."

"Lady Danbury."

"Welcome! Welcome!" Lady Bridgerton greets. "Is everyone as famished as I?"

"Now, this is far too grim a mood for the celebration I was counting on. What on earth is the matter?" Lady Danbury questions.

"Anthony?" Lady Bridgerton asks.

"We have been denied our request for a special license," Anthony informs them.

"What?" Lady Bridgerton questions.

"The archbishop did not see a need," the Duke tells her.

"It is not the archbishop. It is the queen. Perhaps she has taken your rejection of her nephew to heart, or perhaps she is simply bored. Either way, it does not bode well for your daughter's social future, nor any of the Bridgertons, for that matter," Lady Danbury says.

"Surely we must be able to do something?" Lady Bridgerton insists.

"Give her what she wants. Attention. Appear before her yourselves and make a personal appeal. But she will not respond to begging, and she can sniff out even the faintest whiff of insincerity, so do not lay it on thick. Tell her you are in love, plain and simple and true. You can do that, can you not?" Lady Danbury says. Daphne nods. "Good. Now, where is the dinner I was promised?"

I grab Daphne's hand. "I shall leave you to your dinner. Everything will be worked out. Do not fret."

I run into Benedict on my way out.

"Diana. What are you doing here?" Benedict asks.

"I was keeping Daphne company," I explain. "But I am on my way out now."

"As am I," Benedict tells me.

"And where are you off to?" I ask.

"Do you remember Mr. Granville?" Benedict asks. I nod. "I went to his gallery." I smile. "He invited me back."

"So you've been painting?" I question.

"A little," Benedict tells me.

"Well I would desperately like to see it once you are done," I state.

"Maybe if you are lucky," Benedict tells me before taking off.