⚘twenty eight⚘

As much as I do not wish to attend the Featherington ball I must. I am doing it for the Bridgertons and no one else. If we continue to put on a brave face the ton will forget about what happened with Anthony.

"Exquisite. Is it not?" Aunt Featherington asks.

"We might think it a foretaste of my wedding to Cousin Jack, I suppose," Prudence says. "Might he finally dance with me tonight?"

"Not if he knows what is best for him," Philipa says.

Aunt Featherington gasps. "Oh, I shall swoon." Her Majesty walks through the door into the ballroom. "This ball is truly my crowning achievement."

I rush to the Bridgertons as they arrive. Benedict has arrived with his family since I arrived early to support Penelope. I know it is hard on her to have to continue to pretend that Eloise does not exist.

"I... I cannot do this tonight," Eloise tells Lady Bridgerton. "I am sorry, Mama. I fear I must disappoint you yet again."

"The only thing that'd disappoint me is seeing you care what anyone else thinks," Lady Bridgerton tells her. "That would not be you. I do not want you keeping things from me ever again. Now, you have come thus far this season. It would be a shame for you to turn back now."

I hold my arm out to Eloise. "Come now. I think I know where Aunt Featherington has placed the best cakes." I laugh lightly. "And where she is hiding Penelope."

I help Eloise find Penelope before finding Benedict.

"It is all rather gaudy," Benedict tells me.

I nod my head. "Did you expect anything else from my aunt?"

Benedict laughs. "No. I suppose I did not." He holds his hand out to me. "We might as well dance."

I smile as I take his hand. "Lead the way."

My smile does not fall from my face as Benedict, and I dance. When the song ends Benedict and I do not leave the floor.

"Would you care for another dance, Mr Bridgerton?" I ask.

Benedict chuckles. "I shall dance with you for the whole night if it makes you happy."

As we dance, I realise that Miss Sharma and Anthony are dancing together.

"Anthony is dancing with Miss Sharma," I tell Benedict.

Benedict smiles. "It was only a matter of time."

"I hope he may finally tell her how he feels," I tell him.

Every other couple on the dance floor slows to a stop. All eyes are on Anthony and Miss Sharma. It is incredible to see. You can tell by the way they look at one another that Anthony and Miss Sharma are in love.

With a little help from Her Majesty everyone seems to regain their composure. Couples start to fill the dance floor once more.

Benedict holds his hand out to me. "I cannot let my brother have all the fun."

I laugh lightly as Benedict, and I start to dance once more.

"Everyone, outside," Aunt Featherington announces as the song ends. "I have a surprise for you all."

Benedict looks at me. "Do you know what the surprise is?"

I shake my head. "No, but if I know my aunt it will be over the top."

Benedict and I start out the front of the house.

"Just over there. The real celebrations will begin shortly," Lady Featherington says.