Chapter 34

RJ: Are you guys outside already??

Ryujin frantically texted to the group chat she had between herself, Chaeryeong, Yeji and Jisu, noticing that it was already 11:58 p.m. and that they had only 2 minutes left before the clock struck 12, before it would officially be her girlfriend's birthday.

She was currently in her apartment bathroom, as they had planned, pretending that she was experiencing stomach problems, while Yuna sat in their living room, watching TV while waiting for Ryujin to come out.

"Is everything okay babe?" Yuna yelled out from the couch.

"Uhh ... Yeah! everything is fine. I-I think I just ate something bad ...," Ryujin answered, not forgetting to make it sound as if she was in just a little bit of pain, trying her best to sell the story.

Just when Ryujin was getting nervous that the other 3 weren't replying to her messages, with the clock indicating that it was 11:59 p.m., a sudden notification had popped up on her screen.

Chaeryeong: Yes we're outside already, relax.

Ryujin sighed a breath of relief, her shoulders relaxing slightly, as she waited for the clock to hit midnight, silently praying that their surprise would go well.

And once it did, right on cue as they had carefully planned out, there was a knock on their apartment door.

"Hey, babe? I think there's someone at the door," Yuna said, wondering who it could be this late into the night. As far as she could remember, Yeji, Jisu, nor Chaeryeong had said nothing about coming over to their place.

"Could you get it? I-I ordered some food for tomorrow," Ryujin lied, hoping it was convincing enough for the youngest to not suspect anything, though she bit her lips in secret, silently cursing herself for not thinking of a better excuse.

Yuna got up from the sofa and made her way to the door.

And as soon as she opened it, she was greeted with the sight of her three best friends smiling brightly, with Jisu in the middle carefully holding a medium-sized cake with a few candles lit up. 

"🎵Happy birthday to you ..."

The three began to sing happy birthday, as Yuna took a step back in shock, her two hands quickly covering her mouth, her two large eyes opened as wide as possible, though gradually turning into crescents, as she began to register what was going on.

"...🎶Happy birthday to you. 🎵Happy birthday to our Yuna ... happy birthday to you🎶."

"Make a wish! Make a wish!" Chaeryeong exclaimed excitedly, bouncing up and down as she clapped her hands.

Yuna closed her eyes, clasping her two hands tightly together, and while the youngest silently made her wish, Ryujin carefully stepped out of the bathroom, taking quiet steps to sneak up from behind to where Yuna stood, holding the tiny velvet box in her two hands behind her.

"Blow the candles!" Yeji said as soon as Yuna had opened her eyes again, which she promptly did, unable to hide the sparkle in her eyes and the wide grin she had on her face.

"Okay, now turn around!" Jisu spoke, excitement and adoration reflected in her voice.

Yuna turned around, just as she was instructed to, and as if the surprise by the three girls weren't enough already, behind her was Ryujin, down on one knee, her right hand raised with the small velvet box in her  hand, cupping it as if it was the most precious thing in her possession.

"Oh my god." Yuna gasped at the sight, her hand instinctively going back to covering her wide open mouth, as tears began to noticeably well up, her eyes quickly becoming glossier, reflecting the room light that was just above them.