Chapter 41

The last day of the year rolled around not long after, and with a final show of colourful and loud fireworks exploding up in the sky, the 5 bid goodbye to last year as they welcomed a brand-new set of three hundred and sixty-five days, excited for what the new year held for them.

Yeji, Ryujin, and Yuna had just finished their last practice before they were set to be heading to Seoul in two days for the Winter C.U.P opening ceremony as well as the first round of the tournament.

"Okay girls, here's the tournament bracket," the coach said as she handed a piece of paper to each member of the team. "16 teams, meaning 4 games in total if you make it all the way to the final round. One game per week, which gives all teams enough time to learn about each other, know their strengths, as well as their weaknesses."

"Capitalism at its finest if you ask me. Weekends mean more people can make it, more ticket sales for them," Ryujin commented, as she studied the tournament bracket in her hand, carefully reading through all the teams that had qualified, some they've played in the last few months, others they haven't come across as they came from different districts.

"But thankfully they're on Saturday," Yuna answered cheerfully. "Otherwise Chaeryeong and Jisu unnie wouldn't be able to make it."

"Wait what?" Ryujin let out upon noticing the name of the first opponents they were playing. "We're playing them first?"

"As Ryujin just noticed ... ... yes. We'll be playing the only team we lost to in the first round," the coach answered.

"Geez what luck, huh?" Doyeon grumbled.

"I know right!" Yuna exclaimed excitedly, much to the contrast of the older girl.

"Why are you so happy about it?" Doyeon curiously responded, shooting a strange look at the younger girl's wide grin.

"Why wouldn't I be?" Yuna replied enthusiastically. "It's a chance for payback."

"Listen up," the coach continued while clapping loudly twice, turning everyone's attention back on her. "Going into this, they're saying we're the favourites to win this. Whether that's true or not depends on you guys. But if there's one thing I know, that means everyone has their eyes on us. Everyone will be coming after you, and everyone will have done their best to study your weaknesses."

"Is the coach trying to motivate us or scare us?" Doyeon joked as she whispered into Tzuyu's ears.

"But ... ... just because they know it, doesn't mean they can exploit it. We've trained too hard for that to happen, and we've come too far to not win. So go home, get some rest for the next 2 days, and I want you to be in tip top shape when we head there, got it?"

"Yes coach," everyone responded loud and clear in unison.

"Practice dismissed."

While everyone had begun to disperse, some going around to pick up the basketballs scattered all across the court, while others headed to the locker room for a warm shower, Ryujin had noticed Yeji staying quiet this entire time, her eyes glued upon the piece of paper tightly held in her hands.

"... ... I'm guessing you've noticed too," Yeji finally spoke up upon noticing that the shorter girl was looking at her intently.

"... Yeah," Ryujin answered, the excited grin she had just now fading away into a solemn and grim expression.

"... this is the university she said she'd most likely attend, right?" Yeji asked, wanting to confirm whether her suspicions were right.

"W-who are you guys talking about?" Yuna carefully interrupted, a little nervous as to why the mood had shifted all of a sudden, and wondering who this person was that could possibly make her brave girlfriend and her charismatic captain speak in such a dark and almost ... ... fearful tone.