Chapter 39

Author's Notes: There's a part in this chapter I wrote that's intended to be accompanied by Jaymes Young's Happiest Year. It'll be easy to spot but just in case, I've noted it with the music note emoji. This isn't a must, but from proof reading it definitely won't work well without it as it references the song. I'm not entirely sure it actually even works but I think I proofread(ed) this chapter way too much that I can't tell anymore😂. Either way, I hope you enjoy🥺❤️.

"I knew that would get you to stop ... ... I just didn't know you'd freeze like that," Soobin said with a chuckle, as Jisu turned around to once more face the boy she wanted nothing to do with.

"... Why are you not saying anything? ... Are you not curious? Or are you just surprised that I might know what you've been looking for all this time?" he continued, almost as if he was provoking the girl.

Jisu remained silent, her body motionless and calm, yet her eyes glared with a sharpness that could cut through steel.

But Soobin stayed composed, no longer fazed by what once scared him so much. For this time, he no longer cared.

His priority wasn't to get Jisu to fall for him anymore. As much as it pained him to admit, it was no longer a feasible possibility, and he knew whose fault it was.

He knew who to blame for the pain he felt and is still feeling.

Which was why all he wanted now was retaliation.

On Jisu. And most of all, on Yeji.

"You see Jisu-ya ... ...  you're not the only one who's curious," the boy continued. "Because I am too. How is it that after three years of leaving, could someone come back out of nowhere, and take everything that I've built so patiently away from me," Soobin said with a voice full of venom and spite.

"Which got me curious, much like you were, to know what she was up to all this time ..."

Jisu continued to stand still and unaffected, not wanting to be baited by the boy's empty words . But unfortunately, what came out of Soobin's mouth next sent a chill up Jisu's spine.

"... Her parents ... ... they're not alive anymore, are they?"

Jisu's eyes for a split second shifted from anger and into shock, though she quickly tried her best to regain her composure to prevent a single moment of weakness to show

Because that's exactly what Soobin wanted.

To see Jisu falter.

And she wasn't about to let that happen, not if she could help it.

But as far as Jisu knew, the only ones who knew about Yeji's parents were her, Ryujin, Chaeryeong, Yuna, and Yeji herself. Which begged the question: how did Soobin find out?

"Are you surprised that I know?" Soobin taunted. "Oh believe me. It only snowballed from there. The things that I found out afte-"

"You know what Soobin?" Jisu interrupted, speaking up after having to hold herself back this whole time much to the surprise of Soobin, but what caught the boy even more off guard was how calm and undisturbed Jisu sounded. 

"I am surprised. But not because you found something that I couldn't. I'm more surprised at how pathetic and desperate you're acting."

"Huh?" Soobin responded, triggered by the harsh choice of words Jisu used, as his eyebrows turned into frowns and his face wrinkled in irritation.

"It's over Soobin. And yet here you are still unable to move on, still clinging onto something you never had," Jisu said with a voice stern and cold. "Tell me how that isn't sad."