Chapter 49 - Shades of Love

Hunched over the ground, they were attentive of their task. The shadows engulfed them completely, the fog keeping them out of sight.

The werewolves, on the other side, were moving with purpose, the words were sealed and the eyes maintained conversation. A play that was never witnessed in the creatures before.

Asher cursed under his breath. He had hoped for a lead but it seemed there was another game going on.

"There's nothing right." Raina whispered from behind the tree.

"Try to be stealth." Asher whispered furiously, keeping a vigilant eye on the camp.

"I don't want Rey to be betrayed." Raina said, sounding a bit upset.

Asher gave a bitter smile. It wasn't betrayal that mattered to him. Because betrayal was part of the game that every specie inflict on the other. But that didn't mean they would be played so easily.

"We won't let anything happen to Rey." Asher said, he had pledged to protect Rey with his last breath and he would.

The last of werewolf was gone out of their sight. It was their cue to move. Asher hid the dagger behind his back and stood up. Walking a little ahead, he crouched sifting the snow with his pale fingers.

"I got a bad feeling. Rey is hiding something from us." Raina continued talking.

Asher paused. Rey had already expressed his doubts to him. But he wasn't going to tell them that. It was Rey secret entrusted to him and he would protect it fiercely.

"We should trust Rey with his every word. Secret or not." Regina said firmly as she sat beside Asher and checked the snow for clues.

Asher continued sifting thoughtfully, it wasn't his area of expertise but it gave him something to do instead of thinking about Raina words.

"I trust Rey. He has kept things from us many time but there is something odd about it this time." Raina said fiercely, affronted by their words.

Asher stared the snow, his hands half submerged in the coldness while his mind traveled miles away.

He agreed with Raina to some extent. He was aware of Xander and Aryan angle that had to be dealt carefully. But there was another side of Rey too.

The human who dared to interfere their meeting that night, who also happened to be the first human to enter their secret world. She had the same care for his Rey, their Malaika had.

Rey had actually been carefree with her and then the affection and worry in his tone when he questioned the girl. It was like he was more human and not someone who mastered in hiding his emotions.

It was all different. A sight that resembled to their Malaika and yet had its unique beauty.

That girl was the reason for different Rey this time. But the question was whether it was good thing or not.

"You found something there, Asher?" Raina asked.

Regina was the one holding mastery over snow but Raina questioning him confused him.

Asher turned to Raina and she raised her brow in question, pointing towards the place he was staring from quite sometime. Realizing he zoned off, Asher stood up and shook his head.

"Guess, night is a failure." Raina muttered, cursing under her breath.

It wasn't. At least, not completely.

Asher turned, Regina fixed him with hard stare. Asher stared back with same intensity.

"I'll see what I can do. Inform Rey of tonight." Regina said.

He realized she was aware of him knowing more than anyone and yet she didn't question. Questioning decisions was a sign of distrust. Silence was their manifestation of trust.

Asher nodded. But paused in shock when he realized what really happened tonight. His eyes turned to Raina and she too had understood same.

________________________

Placing the bag in room, he turned to Piya.

Her efforts to hide her grin were evident. His lips lifted at her attempts.

How could he even thought he would be able to live without her for the rest of eternity? That one second he thought she was gone, he had almost lost his sanity. This time his broken heart wouldn't take the separation. It couldn't break further, the last stage for it would be the death of its alive part.

Stepping closer to her, he took on her scent with a yearning.

Even if they couldn't be together for eternity, one thing that he realized in these hours, he wouldn't survive if she left him.

Taking her hand in his, he locked his eyes with her warm brown orbs.

"Piya," Abhay breathed her name. "Don't ever leave me." His eyes filled up with intensity and emotions.

"You're important for me just as this winter is for snow." Entwining their hands, he kissed the back of her hand.

"I love you, Piya. I love you so much that even I don't know." Abhay confessed, thousands of emotions playing on his face.

Piya bit her lower lip and looked at their entwined hands. Her eyes answered him with their own song and his heart felt every feeling treasured there.

Standing on her toes, she placed a kiss on his cheek. Her touch gave fire to his emotions and he wished to forget the world and just lose himself in her.

"I love you too, Abhay. You're my world, Abhay, and a life without you isn't possible." Piya replied with as much as intensity as his.

Smile brightened on their faces. Piya crashed in his arms, Abhay hid his face in her hair, breathing her presence and pulling her so closer to him that no distance could stand between them.