Chapter 40 - Girl

Waiting for the phone to be answered, Siddharth couldn't stop the anxiety that always kept him on edge on this certain matter.

"What's the report?" Siddharth asked without any preamble.

"Someone is obstructing investigation. There's no information whatsoever."

Clenching his fist, he closed his eyes. A long wait that was consistent in its stubbornness.

"Find the source. I need this information at any cost." Gritting his teeth, Siddharth hissed the orders in low voice before cutting the call.

His grip tightened around his phone, breathing deeply he calmed his disturbed nerves.

If only he was ignorant of the things his family was, life would've been lot easier.

Another pitiful thought, a nature of human. Siddharth shook his head with a bitter smile.

"Siddharth."

Sighing Siddharth sat on the chair and opened the abundant file.

"Am listening, dad." Siddharth said without sparing Arnab a glance.

"We are ready for party, son. We're waiting for you." Arnab said after a moment of silence.

"I said am busy." Siddharth said carelessly.

"It's important for you to join." Arnab emphasized.

"Why?" Siddharth rolled his eyes.

"You're my son. What will the world say if you want to be present along with my family in a high profile party?" Arnab reasoned.

Siddharth smiled bitterly. Standing up, he faced Arnab.

"That's what you care for. World, their talk and high profile stuff." Siddharth gave him disgusting look.

"Siddharth," Arnab tried to speak.

"And your complete family is not with you, dad. I hope you haven't forget it just because the world doesn't know it." Siddharth said.

Arnab hung his head in shame.

"Siddharth, don't bring past." Arnab said in a voice losing its strength.

"Of course, you won't care of past. But I'll surely bring it in present and give the honour they deserve." Siddharth said angrily.

Siddharth turned away before Arnab could speak - "I'll come in party myself. You all can go."

Arnab stood behind him for a long minute but finally left without saying anything. Siddharth sighed painfully, anger shining in his eyes along with pain.

A small memory of little girl flashed in his mind. A blurred past, fogged by decades but not completely forgotten.

"Piya..." Siddharth whispered. "Are you that little girl?"

_______

Mind lost in conspiracies surrounding him, Abhay looked around the arrangements. Guests had already started to file in the hall, their stench tingling his sensitive senses and disturbing him further.

Where was Piya? Abhay looked around the guests even when his senses answered him before his eyes could.

What is taking your time, Piya? Abhay thought moving out from back door into the illuminated garden. His eyes scanning the green grass sparkling under the fairy lights.

Maithli hated fairy lights. Moon was always her favourite bulb. A smile came on his face and as he raised his eyes to look for moon someone presence caught his attention.

There she stood. In her black prom dress studded with red stones round the waist, she looked ethereal with her hair long left open. An epitome of old times. A love lost in time but never forgotten.

Stepping closer to her, Abhay took in her features and looks. His mind conjuring the images of party, lost in time. Her hand that had never left his and her eyes that had never wavered from him. Those blissful moments.

Maithli. His Maithli. Shaking his head, Abhay smiled.

"Why do you have to buy this dress, Piya?" Abhay asked.

"Found it in an old shop at discount rate. Took me a minute to realize its kinda princess dress." Piya said pulling on the long gloves.

"I'll not be surprised if I find its exactly the same dress she wore. But you surely startle me there for a long minute." Abhay admitted.

"Do I always remind you of her?" Piya asked raising her eyes to meet his icy grey orbs.

Holding her hand softly, he lowered his head to look in her enchanting eyes filled with questions.

"You're not her neither she was you. There's nothing holding you two together other than this face and innocence." Abhay placed his hand on her face. "After that drama incident, it's the first time."

"Means this face and innocence might be the reason for a change in this royal Abhay Rey." Piya asked playfully.

"This fiesty girl can be the reason. But not due to past, for her peculiar behaviour." Abhay answered.

"I must admit, you're learning to talk a lot, very fast." Piya laughed.

"Well have to, if you have a girl who talks too much." Abhay gave a sneaky smile.

Piya punched him on chest.

"I wonder who you're talking about." Piya glared before looking away.

"A girl who might be my girlfriend." Abhay said softly, turning her face towards him.

Piya faltered for a moment at the mention of girlfriend, a tag that was never officially pronounced.

"Then go to your girlfriend, Mr Arrogant Rey."  Piya snatched her face from his grip and folded her arms over her chest.

Pulling her from waist, Abhay took her by surprise as she fell on his chest.

"Am with my girlfriend, miss."

Piya pursued her lips and finally a smile came on her face.

"Such a player you are. You sneaky Raichand." Piya laughed at his behaviour.

Abhay too chuckled.

"Comes in handy when you got unpredictable girl." Abhay said.

"Shut up." Piya shook her head with an amused smile and stepped back from him. "You're better as an Arrogant Rey, so don't change please."

Both shared a laughter.

"We're coordinating well though." Piya said pointing at his casual black jeans with red print on black shirt.

"Pity can't go inside together." Piya said with a grin.

Abhay smiled.

"Oh, happy birthday..." Piya hugged him.
" Neforé." She whispered in his ears.

Abhay shook his head as Piya stepped back with a cheeky smile.

"You're going crazy." Abhay remarked.

"Thank you, Mr Raichand." Piya said in formal tone, waving her hands.

"I wonder what you'll do next." Abhay pressed his forehead.

"Maybe announce that you're going to marry me?" Piya said pulling away his hand.

"Yeah sure, I'll wait for it." Abhay said sarcastically.

"You will not marry me?" Piya asked seriously.

"Maybe you can announce... we're already married?"  Abhay offered.

"Cool"

Both burst in a laughter.

Siddharth stopped at doorstep. Her laughing face looking pretty under the moonlight. He looked at the boy beside her and was surprised to see Abhay Raichand. That too laughing.

He stepped back quickly, away from their eyesight and away from everyone.