Chapter 32 - Sunshine among Clouds

Hugging herself, Piya clinged on the pillar in the strange place. The inhuman air felt like a poison. Mist was surrounding, hanging low, as if keeping an eye on her to make sure she behave. Trees seemed to hum a magic of their own, swaying wherever the eyes would go as if this was their personal realm and Piya did not belong there.

In a way, she did not belong either.

The soft breeze, however, had a certain rhythm striking the chords of heart and placating the mind.

"At first, Abhay didn't like this place either," said Haseena from somewhere behind Piya.

Piya looked over her shoulders from the the pillar of the strange platform. Haseena had her trademark smile intact.

"It's creepy," Piya said, her head dropped in shame for uttering those words against a place that could be close to Haseena.

"It is." Haseena admitted. "But even if the home is haunted, it is home in the end."

Piya raised her head letting her brown eyes meet with the dark ones. Being a person who never got a home, she knew the feeling of yearning for one. Her home was the place her father left and her mother died,  so many painful memories, yet her heart craved to leave everything and live in that crumbing house that was once her home.

Turning her head, Piya gave another glance to lurking mist forming the sky of the strange place. A smile came on her face despite the fear in her heart. She might not be welcomed in this strangeness but it was the home to Abhay.

Rustling of clothes came from behind and Piya whirled with a thumping heart. Gasping, she took a step backward, her feet stepped out of the platform, losing her balance. Her heart leapt as she grasped for the pillar to stop herself from falling.

Hands, as cold as Abhay's, held her from shoulder and Piya raised her head expectantly even when the softness of hand told that it was not Abhay. Her eyes dropped on finding Haseena and she stood up straight.

"You're safe, trust me," Haseena whispered.

The vampires stood at distance from her and there was no Abhay to protect her. A fear was gripping her whole body in a viselike grip.

Not wanting her distrust to be read by Haseena, Piya nodded without meeting eyes.

Haseena looked away but Piya kept on holding her hand as she stood shielding her from the group of vampires. Piya counted them twelve but she couldn't be sure due to the darkness and fear.

"Am sure you must be aware of the consequence of snooping, since am going to report this behaviour to Abhay," Haseena said.

There was a malice and coldness in otherwise warm voice of Haseena. It sounded strange and wrong to Piya.

"That is, if Abhay comes back alive." said one of the vampire from the front, though Piya was not sure which one, due to their hoods.

"And am betting on his death." He added.

Piya tightened her grip on Haseena hand and her eyes widened in fear. What were they saying? Abhay should be fine. He must be fine.

"And I'll make sure to kill you with my own hands, so you can enjoy your win in the hell," said Haseena, her voice rising with temper.

Piya felt a shudder ran down her spine.

"Calm down, Araina. The victory is of Rey," said a little boy coming in front of Vampires. His pale skin against the light brown hair told he was not human either.

Araina? Rey?

Piya furrowed her brows. Nothing made sense. The words were human but they still sounded strange and otherworldly, their meaning out of Piya reach.