Chapter 53 - Struggling for Future

"Piya be serious." Abhay said, getting annoyed.

The silent clouds watched over them as shivering wind strolled on the dark terrace while they stood facing each other.

"It's ridiculous." Piya threw her hands in air and immediately rubbed them together feeling cold.

"Self defense isn't ridiculous by any means. It's called protection for reason." Abhay glared, why wasn't she being serious?

Her lips protruded in annoyance showing her displeasure for his efforts and she walked past him, to the alluring swing. Collapsing down, she held on the chain and rested her head over it.

"I don't need it. You're there to protect me." Piya muttered.

A few stray tresses brushed her hair and she yawned, her eyes were droopy too.

He should let her rest for night. But the world wasn't so kind. What was a discomfort of sleepless nights if it ensured her continued breathing?

"I may not be there forever." Abhay said, biting at the harsh truth.

He had faced to reach her twice before. This time he didn't want to take chance and lose her forever. No, he couldn't even think about the possibility of his carelessness.

Narrowing her eyes, she leaned on the swing.

"Its other way round." Her voice was soft and small in the stillness of night.

His eyes widened and he took a hurried step towards her wanting to shield her from every pain and from the death itself.

"Don't talk nonsense." Abhay snapped, his heart constricted in his chest at the implication.

Piya gave out a sigh and his eyes softened. Sitting beside her, he looked at her with love and covered her hands with his palm.

"Look Piya there can be times when I might fail to reach you. Like during Kabir. There are many enemies out there and they'll take any opportunity to hurt you. You've to be independent and you've to learn to defend yourself." Abhay said in a soft voice hoping Piya would understand his point.

Pressing her lips, she turned to him, eyes shining with love and she finally nodding in understanding.

"For you, Abhay." Piya whispered.

A smile touched his lips.

It was more for her than him. But at least, she agreed.

Standing on his feet, he pulled her along with him. Shutting her eyes, Piya whined.

"Can we do it tomorrow? Its so late." Piya said, squinting her eyes and covering her face from his view.

Holding her hands, Abhay pulled them away, forcing her to look at him.

"We'll do it not just tomorrow but every night, starting from now." Abhay said, her mouth opened to object but he wasn't done speaking. "If you want to sleep, pay attention to lesson."

Lips turned downward, Piya made crying face but Abhay stood stoic. She couldn't win from him where her safety was concerned.

"Fine, professor, but if I failed to wake up for college, you're to be blamed," Piya said, crossing her arms and staring him with defiance.

"Don't worry, I'll make sure you go college on time," Abhay said, inwardly amused at her melodrama. It shed a new light on her personality.

"I need sleep, you stupid Neforé," Piya said, half annoyed and half whining.

"Then start paying attention," Abhay said taking position in front of her.

Her shoulders slumped in defeat and then squared in attention realising they weren't going anywhere until she actually start to learn.