Chapter 33 - Light and Dark

Abhay shrugged off the thin snow of blooming winter, entering in his mansion, still upset over the meeting with clan.

Despite his short and censored explanations that she was not Maithli and he did not want to involve her, he had seen the dislike in the understanding nods of his clan. Clearly, they were not happy and relented only because of the authority and power Abhay held. It was no good news. Receiving their trust was essential, particularly when he might need to hide more of Piya in future. With that, things would go downhill particularly with the chance of traitor in his own clan.

This was going much twisted and much more vicious. The chances of their survival might be slim.

Abhay shook his head in despair and halted near living room when Piya voice reached his ears.

"He'll be fine?"

Sitting on the new shining dining table, she was talking about him as his mother stood beside her. The concern in her voice brought a warmth and he stood watching her.

She was in her usual; black top and pink skirt. Somehow black seemed to fit her too well and he did not like it.

"It depends."

Haseena answer surprised Abhay.

"Means?" Piya asked, her eyes widened as if trying to comprehend what Haseena was trying.

But Abhay knew what his mother was doing. She was well aware of his presence and it was just her way to play with two people at one time.

"Depends on how much he take care of himself, mentally and physically."

There it was. Abhay gave out a sigh. His mother putting ideas in Piya mind. Somehow his mother was sure that Piya could help Abhay out of the misery he lived. She was a bit right, though.

Yesterday night changed a lot in him. He shouldn't have agreed with Piya in the morning, but it was all because of the events of night that made him realize Piya was important for him. That fear of losing Piya in fire was not just an emotion but a decision in itself.

"Mom," Abhay stepped in and both the ladies turned their heads to him. "We need to talk."

Haseena shook her head. "You better give company to your friend, Abhay."

Piya was eating so it was not an issue and Abhay was ready with the answer when Piya beat him into it.

"I don't mind being alone," Piya said sipping on the juice.

It was meant to be a help for Abhay but it worked entirely opposite on his mind. Giving a dismissing nod to his mother, Abhay sat on her right.

She raised her head, her hands pausing on the plate, the faint light from window illuminating the confusion in her brown eyes.

"Do you want to eat suddenly?" Piya asked munching on her food. Abhay never saw her eating with such fervour before.

"I don't like eating," Abhay answered.

Piya nodded vigorously as if telling him that she got to know that long before. She stopped as if a thought crossed her mind and started to pick on her food again.

"Do you even need to eat?" Piya asked casually.

"A sip of water and a bite of food, that's all."

Again Piya nodded, this time slowly and Abhay could feel her piecing the time he denied food entirely. His eyes went to her hands. The swelling was a little and even redness was faded.

"How's your hand?" Abhay asked just for the sake of conversation.

Her eyes went on her hand and she raised them to show him. "Much better than they should be. I feel you gotta do something with it apart from the medicine."