Chapter 15 - Returning Trust

Suffocated was what she felt at that moment. Sitting in the dullness of police station with the old walls telling tales of cruelty and pain, she felt a weight on her own chest. Last time, this place had brought deepening wounds of betrayal of her own father but this time....

This time, this very place, was clearing the label of betrayal from another person, she trusted and regretted doing so.

The walls were taunting her for her stupidity. Explaining the stories of misunderstanding and illusion. Adding more haunting questions on her conscience.

She looked at inspector and thought about the breakdown of Maya, a moment back, on hearing the cruel news of the death of her unborn baby. He killed her baby, that's what Maya had chanted going all hysterical. She had felt for her and had vowed to pay this debt back to Abhay.

But everything changed so suddenly. The picture, she was seeing of the whole matter had another side which was hidden from her view and was still mystery. A mystery of the mystery she was seeing.

The question of inspector rang in her head laughing at her folly and mockering her decision.

"Try to remember Miss Jaiswal. We must know where Mr Raichand was at the time of incident." Inspector insisted

Piya hid her face in her palms. How should she answer that she remembered it as clear as a day that she was there with Abhay when the incident with Maya took place.

"Oh god, what have I done?" Piya thought. If Abhay was with her then it meant he wasn't responsible of Maya's state. She never saw him with Maya except for one damn occasion which pushed her to question Abhay about the whole matter and then his damn confession which suddenly seemed so untrue.

No, Piya decided. She wasn't going to lie or blame Abhay. Not without proof. Even if it meant she would be held accountable for her hasty testification.

"Fighting in boxing competition. After that in locker room and I did meet him too." Piya said looking down.

Doing this was a dangerous gamble. Her character could be question too. She could lose everything. But she wasn't ready to destroy someone else's life by her mistake.

"What are you..." Misha tried to speak but Inspector stopped her

"Are you sure? Or is there some pressure? You can trust us." Inspector said throwing a glance towards Abhay who himself sat dumbfounded

"Am sure. I saw him with Maya one day, so thought that he is the reason but this incident... He isn't responsible for this particular incident" Piya said and dared to look at Abhay from the corner of her eyes and the look she saw on his face told her that she was doing right.

That somehow Abhay was just linked, not responsible.

"Do you know it can go against you? You have wasted police time and tried to mislead that too by effecting the life of a reputed family." Inspector said in calm voice but his words rephrasing her fears which she no more cared.

"I'm sorry" Piya said not knowing what else to say. She had messed up big time. And only time would tell if her this decision of supporting Abhay was right or not.

"Look, your sor..." Inspector words were cut off by Abhay

"I have no issue." Abhay said calmly

Piya looked at him surprised. She didn't expect him to say something in anyone's favour, in her favour.

"But we do have issue" inspector snapped suddenly feeling as if he was trapped between two lovers who fought over something and dragged him to take revenge on each other