Chapter 26 - Weird Life

Feeling of distrust loomed in air. The twelve pale faces staring down at him gave him feeling of disquiet. Handling them was like walking on eggshell, one wrong move and everything would destroy.

"Can I know, how your old clan knows about what's happening in my clan?" Abhay asked with an authoritative tone, laced with anger.

They stared down at him without answering. A minute passed. Smirk crept on their faces.

"I see, you're being betrayed by your own clan," one of them said in a pleasant tone that wasn't pleasant for Abhay "once again"

They tittered in pleasure. Abhay fisted his hand feeling rage at their audacity. But he knew Vampires were too sly to handle easily. Their bloody smirks and bitter teasing were part of their twisted mind and he had to bear that.

"By any chance, you are the one showing your loyalty to your old home?" Abhay asked icily and silence stilled the room.

"Betrayal comes from the closer ones." The short man said twisting his lips into horrible smile

"It won't be first time that you are betrayed by your closed ones." The man in center said with a grin and Abhay felt like he was punched in his stomach.

The vampires didn't even look at each other but their mind were working in sync.

"Your own favourite killing your own." They sang with chilly laughter

Abhay looked away closing his eyes unable to stand the cruel words telling the tales of his painful past that was still shadowing his life.

"What was the name of that poor girl?" Their leader asked with a smirk that said he was scratching his wounds deliberately.

"Yeah, I remember." The man beside the leader was ready to provide the name but Abhay had enough of their bloody slyness.

"Don't forget you're in my territory and I am the one providing you protection from those disgusting undead creatures you ran away from." Abhay said reminding them of their state. His wounds were ready to slice open but he wasn't going to bleed in front of these monsters.

Silence prevailed and the faces of vampires fell in dismay.

"Just answer what you're asked. Or else get ready for the inevitable fate for traitors like you." Abhay threatened.

He watched them growling but the fear that clouded their pale faces was enough to tell him that he had hit them on nerve.

"Keep an eye on each other. If I find any of you conspiring against me then all of you will pay. So better make sure none of you is the betrayer." Abhay said, his voice filled with anger and disgust for them.

"Whatever you say, master." Their leader said in annoyed and sarcastic tone.

"Get out." Abhay gritted, controlling himself from twisting their neck and killing their undead life then and there.

Abhay watched them running out with distrust in his eyes.

Their thread was in his fist but he had to be careful in squeezing it. They needed him for protection against their own clan who wanted to kill them for their treachery. But Abhay too needed them because they were kind of asset against the Vampires, the undead.

Somewhere Abhay and these rogue Vampires held equal status but Abhay had to be in control to not let them get this in their traitorous mind.

.

Piya hated it. Hated every minute in the college. The sympathetic gazes and apologies. They were nothing but cold remembrance of what happened to her.