The Past

Chapter 30

No one believed it. It was surreal. The mere thought that Ellie would do something like that was beyond them.

While the family waited outside, Kiaan found himself running after Richard trying to get him to stop. Richard was frantic, he couldn't handle anything, he ran as fast as he could, he wanted to see her. He wanted to see what had become of his Poppy. He didn't believe it, he needed to be sure. All he wanted was that it was all a misunderstanding, that they found the wrong person.

"Russ, stop!" Kiaan panted until they eventually reached the place that they kept her body.

Richard wanted to barge in, but a doctor accompanied with a few nurses present got hold of him.

"Sir, you cannot barge in. Please tell us who you're looking for," one of them said.

Kiaan held him back and said, "I'm sorry but we're looking for Ellie Poppy McAllen. We were told that she was kept here, a case of.." he paused, "self-immolation."

The doctor's eyes drifted toward the floor. He couldn't meet Richard's eyes, which were full of rage, sorrow and denial.

"According to our protocol, she cannot be seen. It will only be extremely difficult to see her, but it will be something you might never be able to erase. Please listen to me, at the funeral the coffin will be sealed. We cannot allow you to see her," he said, trying to be as warm as he could.

Kiaan didn't want to Richard to see her, it was better if they left. He thanked the doctor, took his hand and started to walk.
Richard jerked his hand away from his and hit the wall with it.

"LET ME SEE HER!"

"Listen, sir, we cannot-" and Richard grabbed his collar. His eyes were a flaming red and he pushed him to the wall. Kiaan and the nurses rushed and tried to help the doctor escape his clutches.

"Oh-o-okay sir," he said and Richard let him go.

Kiaan looked at Richard angrily, "This is no way to behave Russ! I can understand what's going through your mind, but hurting this doctor will help you gain nothing."

Richard dropped to the ground, clasped his palms together and looked at the doctor with eyes full of tears.

"Please, let me see her. I don't care how she looks, just let me.." he looked down weakly.

The doctor picked him up from the ground and agreed. Before he could open the door to lead them inside he merely said, "Closure is all we need at times."

Richard walked slowly, his heart was beating fast, he really wanted it to be a mistake. Kiaan walked behind him, he had to make sure Richard didn't do anything bad, and also control his own emotions when he saw her.

As the nurses opened the morgue freezer, Richard peered at it.

He saw her. He let out a quick, shaky laugh, "No, she is not-"

Kiaan moved forward and his muscles stiffened, he was frozen to the spot.

She was Ellie.

One of her eye were open, red and white smeared all over her face, the tissues were painfully visible. She looked ashen, her skin was dried up and although she was recognizable to some extent, that was still not her.

The doctor quietly told the nurses to put her back to where she was. Before they could push it back in, Richard held onto it tightly.

His heartbeat slowed down. Kiaan turned his face away and let the tears flow down his cheeks.