Chapter 34

"So she's alive, but you had her funeral. What is going on?" Ara runs her hand through her hair and walks around.

"Okay I don't know anymore," Kiaan switches his laptop off and stares at the ceiling with his palms at the nape of his neck.

The elders sit down and try to understand, but they know that even if they try hard enough, nothing can help make this situation get any easier.

"I don't know how this will sound, but do you think there might be, just a slight possibility," Ara hesitates and looks around.

"Go on dear," Dahlia says.

"That this might have been a huge game after all?"

Kiaan nods, "It could very well be. I think as far as we can see, it's all confusing. Ellie being alive, her mom coming the day after the funeral, she being at her moms funeral despite the fact that she hates her."

Sarita breathes in and out slowly and then says, "Why would Ellie do such a thing?"

"Well mom, sometimes it's not just what's on the surface, it's what's underneath that counts. It's not a perspective I want to get into, but there is a possibility. I just don't know what to think right now."

"You said your details were torn out of the notebook. Whoever did take it out might try to contact you. If not, then I don't know how else this will get solved," Susheel says and then yawns.

"Yeah you're right. It'll be something," he replies.

Sarita glances at the clock, "Alright then, that's enough shock for today. Let's get something to eat, then we can go sleep."

They then proceed to have a strained dinner, followed by preparing to sleep.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Just as they carry on with their lives, he lies in Adanneth Local Hospital. Richard Russell, his hair ruffled and skin in its palest form.

His body with several injection marks, equipped to devices helping him to survive. His breathing is exceptionally slow, but it's an improvement. If the machines could read his mind, they would only get Poppy. Poppy. And only Poppy.

Unfortunately for him, she isn't there. Neither is it a series of miraculous events for her to just step in and he regains consciousness.

He had hoped for death many times. It seemed as if his life always had something else planned for him. This time, it was yet another chance for Richard to work his way out again.

However just like all battles, this time, if he makes it out, he'll be woven in another web of events.

Only one thing is certain.

He's on his own for this, and all that has to come.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

The next day, Kiaan wakes up with a bit of difficulty. The night that passed was hard to get through. His thoughts clouded his mind to the extent of snatching away his sleep.

Nevertheless, he carries on with whatever he has to and makes sure to have a mental plan about what he would do for the day.

Even though he is quite the spontaneous type, there are times when he values order and time management. "It works well enough, if you make it," he would tell people who couldn't manage their time efficiently.

He gets treated to his usual breakfast, cereal. He made a pact with himself that no matter how old he gets, he'd never part ways with cereal. Ara also picked up that habit from him, so they munch on their breakfast.

His first plan of action is to check up on Richard at the hospital. As he takes his keys and proceeds to open the front door, he turns around to ask Ara to hurry up so they can get enough visiting time.

She comes rushing and ties up her hair, and he opens the door.

He walks ahead and bumps into someone in front of him whom he didn't notice before opening the door.

"Hey sorry," he picks up his keys that he dropped, "Didn't see you there."

She looks at him carefully, "It's okay."

He gets up and extends his hand for a handshake but as he sees her, his body freezes and he could feel his as if his heart was in his hands.

"Ellie."