Chapter 19

Dahlia clenched her dress even tighter and her eyes welled up with tears. Richard thought about it and the reason quickly clicked.

His eyes met Davis' and he tried to stop it but a tear dropped down his cheek. The sudden silence was disturbing and Ellie asked, "What's the matter?"

Kiaan went deep into thought about why they reacted in that way and his train of thought was interrupted by his mother.

"Caelum-710. It's the same-" and she paused of shock and sadness, "-same one that Ace passed away in."

Dahlia shut her eyes and the tears continuously flowed down her cheeks. Those words pierced her heart and cut it into a million pieces she somehow tried to keep together all those years.

Every ounce of emotion overcame her. The brave face she always put on fell right off and Richard saw that pain in her face.

He wrapped her in his arms quickly and cried silently.

Ellie remembered that was his Dad's name and she covered her mouth with her hand. She didn't expect this. No one did.

She knew Davis was confused so she whispered in a voice filled with sadness, who Ace was to him.

As he heard those words, his confusion turned into unbearable pain. All these years he couldn't come to terms with himself, forever blaming himself, and now the people who are close to him and Ellie were affected by him too.

"I-" he couldn't speak.

Ellie got emotional too, she couldn't imagine how her father felt at that moment. He was already torn apart and that was enough to break him completely. It was enough to break Dahlia as well.

Even Kiaan let out a tear. It wasn't expected that the person who indirectly killed a husband, father and uncle to him would be sitting right in front of you.

Dahlia didn't want to cry, she didn't want to make Richard and Ellie's relationship go bad or create a difference because of this. She couldn't help it. As much as she didn't blame Davis, it hurt her that he was the one.

Every memory of Ace flooded her mind. She was reminded of her wedding, giving birth to Richard, the smile that never left Ace's face.

Most importantly how he happily said,
"I'll be back for my little Rich and Dahli," when he left for the airport.

The shoulder she used to cry on, the person who drove her up the wall because of his teasing, the person who she loved.

Her Ace Russell.

"I am sorry," he said sincerely. He was wiping his tears and didn't want to say anything but those words just came out of his mouth.

Ellie held his hand tightly.

Sarita held onto Susheel, she was an emotional person and that really made her release all the sadness.

Richard wiped his tears, and wiped off his mother's too. It was the first time he saw her look almost lifeless, void of emotion. She opened her eyes and looked down. He noticed that the sparkle in her eyes was not there.

She wanted to shout at Davis, make it  known to him how much grief she went through. Dahlia wanted to release every bit of anger she had but she didn't want to destroy the relationship.

"Richard," she thought.

She didn't know what to say. Her face was expressionless.

"Mum-" he said and she interrupted him.

"Go," she said slowly.

Everyone was shocked and looked at her.

She looked up and at Davis.

"Please."

Davis looked down and he got up. He just listened, he didn't want to upset her more than she already was.

Richard looked at Ellie and she got up too, her expression was of shock and sadness, one that he hadn't see before. His heart cried out for her, but he couldn't do anything.

Davis held her hand and as they walked out, Ellie looked back at him.

Before Richard could ask him to drive them home Davis said, "I'll drive home. Thanks."

He looked down, stroking his watch, and hoped this wouldn't destroy their relationship.

Dahlia got up, still void of emotion, and walked upstairs toward her room.

Before she could open her door, she said in a soft but audible voice, "I'm sorry Richard."

Richard just sat on the couch. Kiaan tapped his back and eventually hugged him.

"I'm sorry Russ. This isn't the end, you know that right? Just a bit of discomfort yes, but everyone will get through it dude. We'll get through it."

Richard hugged him tighter and cried. Sarita and Susheel left their boys alone and they went to their house.

"Will I get through this? Mum? Uncle Davis? Will they?" he asked and wiped his tears.

"I don't know, it's going to be hard. I mean it's not like you can just ignore that he drove that airplane that killed-" Kiaan stopped.

He continued after a second, "But we can all get through it. It's just an obstacle Russ. Don't stress. Yours and Ellie's love is greater than that."

Richard felt a bit better and said, "Thanks dude."

"And you were really good at obstacle courses at school too," and he shrugged and laughed.

Richard laughed too.

Kiaan felt a sense of relief and he tapped his back.

"Don't worry man. It's all going to be good."

He thanked him, and they laughed a bit more at Kiaan's stupid jokes.

Richard went to his room, and Kiaan left to go to his house.

He sat at the edge of his bed and removed the watch.

He looked at it and said,"Dad."

He held onto the watch, put his head on his pillow and closed his eyes.

But he couldn't sleep.
Neither could Ellie.
Neither could Dahlia.
Neither could Davis.

Pain inflicted indirectly hurts the most.