Chapter 23

The sounds of beeps, hospital beds moving around swiftly and nurses' shoes tapping the floors filled their ears as they stepped in to identify the bodies.

Richard went in with Ellie, holding her hand. He didn't want her to go in, because she wouldn't be able to deal with it, but she insisted. She couldn't come to terms with what had happened.

The doctor took off the sheet covering their faces and Richard's eyes filled up with tears. He clenched Ellie's hand tighter as he noticed the marks that was left on their faces from the horrifying accident.

Ellie's trembling hands reached out to touch her dad's face and as soon as she stroked it, reality hit her hard. It was really him.

The doctor looked at them and realised that it really was their family members. He shifted his gaze to the floor to give them a few minutes.

Richard looked away, his eyes red and heavy. Ellie froze but she didn't shed a single tear, she continued to stroke his face and then went to Gogo to do the same.

Her breathing became very slow, and she turned to leave. All she said before leaving the room was, "No."

Richard went out with her, trying his best to consume his grief to contain hers. Everyone knew it was really them, they saw the car already, but the hope that it would miraculously not be them was still there.

They looked at Richard and Ellie with a ray of hope that shined in their eyes. Richard looked at them and nodded, and he quickly wiped the stream of tears that started to flow down his cheeks.

Kiaan's high spirits took a deep dive and he looked at Sizwe. His only actual family had been taken away from him. Sizwe looked at the door and his eyes slowly filled up with tears.

Kiaan went over to him and gave him a side-hug tightly. He felt lifeless.

Ellie sat down at a bench and stared at the floor, tapping her shoe. She muttered, "No. No. No."

"Ellie," Richard's voice cracked as he sat down next to her. He extended his arms to hug her but she pushed them away.

"No," she said and tapped even faster.

Sarita held Dahlia's hand and she wanted to help them, but this was something in which even if she did, it would not have made any impact.

Richard used all his strength he had remaining, and forcefully hugged her, burying her head in his shoulder. She couldn't escape, and she broke down. Tears flooded down her cheeks and her body temperature was fiery hot.

"This is not true Mr Russell. Tell me it's not. Tell me it's all a huge mistake," she said through all the tears and heaviness in her heart.

He rubbed her back and didn't know how to reply. He kissed her head and cried even more. She felt light in his arms, and the fire of denial inside her started to douse. She just cried, and cried. Richard held her tightly, giving her the warmth she needed.

The air was filled with melancholia and sadness. Everyone trying to comfort the other, whilst containing their own emotions.

Sizwe realised that Kiaan was rubbing his shoulder and he suddenly pushed his hand away aggressively, making him surprised and trying to maintain balance from falling. Dahlia, Sarita and Susheel noticed that and they looked at him with concerned eyes, hoping he wouldn't do anything absurd.

He breathed in and out and slowly said, "Nobody is dead," and his voice became louder, "Stop crying," and then he shouted out loud, "I SAID NOBODY IS DEAD!!"

Kiaan went forward slowly to rub his back and comfort him, but Sizwe lost control of his emotions. He saw the trolley carrying the tray with the operation equipment on it and he toppled the whole trolley over with all the strength he could possible muster. He banged the wall hard with his hand and he breathed heavily.

Ellie and Richard, startled, looked at him and were overcome with the fear of him doing something terrible.

He looked at all the equipment he dropped  and noticed a scissor. Picking it up quickly, he pointed it to his hand and looked at everyone.

"No one is dead!"

Kiaan slowly walked toward him and whispered, "Okay Sizwe, no one is dead.. Now give me the-" and Sizwe stroked his hand with it, in a quick movement.

"Sizwe!" Dahlia called out and Richard wanted to go help but Ellie stopped him.

She got up, wiping her tears as Kiaan guided her to him.

"Give me the scissor Sizi, please," she said in a pleading voice.

He looked at her, remembered all the good times he spent with Davis, Gogo and her. All the memories flooded back.

Dropping to the ground, he threw the scissor aside and she got down to his level. She hugged him tightly and they cried together.

It's funny how easily a smile could be put on one's face, and erased like it wasn't even there.