Chapter 9

Ellie had her head up, eyes closed, and breathed in the wind that blew against her face. The streetlights shined on her cheekbone and the tip of her nose, making her radiate an ethereal feeling.

Her hair was tied in a braid and the loose strands danced in freedom. Her fingers were wrapped around the pole which held the pot plant she always stroked.

She soared through the sky, touched the stars, felt the craters on the Moon, all just by feeling every touch of wind. It gave her a sense of release and fullness. Taking in all this tranquility, she felt complete.

She suddenly flinched, and jerked her eyes open. Her hand was now travelling her forearm, trying to find the pesky mosquito.
Failed attempt, so she continued to rub her arm and head inside.

As much as Adanneth was a nice, averagely sized town, she had to admit that especially where her house was situated, it was regularly visited by mosquitoes. She had to groan at her plight and shut the door.

Her dad was seated on the couch and noticed her irritated face and excessive hand rubbing, "Mosquitoes. Not even a question." She let out a subtle laugh and walked across the lounge area to sit next to Davis.

She took a step. Flower vase
Another. Long shelf with ornaments and her achievements
Another. Small table holding Davis' medicine
A big leap.
The heavenly couch

Fear Factor had just started and he was well invested in it. Ellie heard. "Ooh is Adelle there?" she asked with much enthusiasm.

She'd heard Fear Factor from a young age, always sat and listened with her dad. He watched and would tell her what the task was. She would hear and cheer on for her favorites ever since. It was her favorite reality TV show, probably shared with Survivor.

"She is, but Vuyo is taking forever! I cannot understand what is taking him so long to put his hand in the box!" Davis exclaimed.

He was a huge fan of the show himself, and it showed by his random outbursts of energy whenever the show started. He had his favorites too, which, more than often, clashed with Ellie's. They'd debate and eventually shush each other to hear the show properly.

"Yayy! She'll definitely win Dad! You will see!" she also exclaimed before searching for something on the sofa. She frowned and asked, "Popcorn?"

"Yes, sure dear. I'd love some," he said then laughed. She tried keeping a straight face but laughed anyway. Slouching, she said, "I was asking where it is. Why haven't you made some?"

"I didn't want to!" he said and crossed his arms like a child. "Now stop disturbing my TV show!" he shouted and huffed.

She laughed at him and then diverted her attention back to the TV. She crossed her legs and felt a bowl touch the middle of her crossed legs. Her fingers felt its' contents and she turned back to her dad.

He chuckled. She balanced the bowl and wrapped him in a tight hug. "You're the best! Love you Mr. Davis McAllen."

"I love you more Ms. Ellie Poppy McAllen," and they smiled.

"Do you really?" she asked with a curious, mysterious tone, gesturing an imaginary magnifying glass in front of her.

"Yes really," he replied, joining in with her tone.

They laughed and continued watching TV.

She rested her head on his shoulder and they shared the popcorn he made.

Eventually, after the show, he could hear snoring and looked to his side. Smiling, he switched off the television and placed the bowl on the table. He took cautious actions, in case she'd wake up.

Sliding his hands under her legs and back,he picked her up and put her to sleep on her bed.

He was about to leave the room but he stopped. Davis looked at his daughter, his beautiful daughter. He looked at her closed eyes.

"You're so special El, not useless, or unworthy, but the best daughter ever," he whispered.

Switching the lights off, he closed her door and left the room to enter his own world of sleep.

Ellie suddenly awoke at 12am. She then found herself walking down the passage to get to the toilet. She put all the blame on the two cups of tea she drank earlier.

Still half asleep, she was now walking back to her room.

Passing her dad's room, she heard a sound. It alerted her.

Frozen to the spot, she listened. It was Davis.
He usually sleep talked and she knew that very well, having slept next to him several times.

"No. She's not incapable! I don't know what's wrong with you..."

"Fine! Go! We don't need you!"

Ellie was disheartened. She knew what dream he was having.

Walking back to her room, she sat down at the edge of her bed. Her sleep was now snatched from her.

She was drifted into a sea of thoughts. His words lingered in her mind. She knew very well what it was directed to, and what it meant.

But she still sat, and thought.

For in thoughts, you lose yourself without ultimately getting lost.