Chapter 37

As soon as they get a call that he is awake, they rush to get to the hospital as soon as possible. The suspense was killing them all, and they are thankful that it didn't take a long time for him to wake up.

"Do not come in until I tell you to. I want to make sure he's absolutely okay first," Kiaan tells Xandra as he opens the door to enter Richard's ward.

"Hey man! How are you doing?" he asks, putting on a delightful expression.

Richard hears his voice and turns his head to face him. A smile plasters across his face and he says, "I think I'm great?"

"Answering a question with a question. Seems like almost dying didn't get you to use your brains more," Kiaan laughs and taps his back.

"I've just woken up. Be nice you idiot," he laughs a little.

"I missed you, don't do stuff like this Russ," he looks at him and then continues, "How's that for being nice?"

"Ah, you had me in the first half," Richard laughs and they hug.

"So besides me being alive, what's good?" he jokes.

"Haven't been focusing on a lot."

"Hey, what's going on?" Richard notices the tension in his voice.

"Russ, haven't you ever thought about why Ellie killed herself?" he takes a seat on his bed.

Richard looks down and draws imaginary circles on the white bed sheet. He shrugs and Kiaan continues, "I think we might have an answer."

He looks at him in shock and his body stiffens.

"What do you mean?" he manages to ask.

Kiaan monitors his pulse rate and decides to continue talking.

"Ellie, well, she had a twin sister. Her mom took her sister, Xandra, and her dad took her. No one besides the parents knew about this, but she found out a few months ago. She knows something, and she said that she needs to tell you the truth."

"What?"

"Confusing, definitely. Maybe it'll get better when she tells us what really is this truth?"

Richard can't possibly wrap his head around this, "Is this a prank or something? Twin sister?"

"It sounds weird but it's true. She's right outside, we all need to know this truth. I want to know if you'll be able to take it Russ."

He looks at the door and in a low voice says, "Haven't I already taken a lot?"

Kiaan opens the door to let her and the family in. She walks with her head up, in search for Richard. Her eyes meet his, and he freezes.

She smiles faintly and tears escape his eyes. "Poppy," he says and then clenches the sheet covering him.

Xandra walks up to him and puts her hand forward for a handshake.

He can't take his eyes off her and doesn't even notice her hand.

"I'm Xandra, hello Richard."

Kiaan taps his shoulder and he gets pulled out of his shock.

"Are you not-" he asks and tears run down his cheeks.

"I'm not, I'm sorry Richard," she says and sits a chair beside him.

He looks away and then slowly says, "This must be another dream, illusion."

"No Russ it-"

"Make it stop!"

"Rich, it's not a dream," Dahlia shakes his shoulder.

"Mum, is she really not Poppy?" he asks, with his cheeks fully wet.

"She's not dear, she's not," she takes him into her arms and cries.

Richard turns toward Xandra and looks at her, avoiding eye contact.

"Tell me what you need to, then please leave."