Chapter 38

The day after Davis' funeral

Ellie had just finished getting sympathies and condolences from everyone who had come to meet her. As she sat down on the couch with a sigh of relief, she heard a knock on the door.

It was just her in the house, Richard had gone to work, and Sizwe at the hospital.
Upon opening the door, she was confronted with the woman who had claimed to destroy her life at the funeral.

"Hello darling," she said in a weirdly affectionate voice.

"I'm sorry, do I know you?" Ellie couldn't quite recall if she heard that voice or not.

"I know all about you, Ellie Poppy McAllen."

She froze in her spot and the lady let herself in.

"You know I always thought Davis would keep this house just the way I had left it. Turns out I was right. He loved me a lot, but you know what hurts, he loved you more."

Ellie turned and tried to hear her movements, as she walked, and touched the stuff around her.

"What do you want?" she mustered the courage to ask her mother.

Bernadette walked right up to her in a swift motion, which made Ellie flinch. She was scared, even though she tried not to be. Anything could happen, and she was alone.

"I want your happiness. My patience has been tested all these years, I cried myself to sleep many times, knowing that my own love was taken away from me. Why? For a little blind girl like you?"

Ellie felt her insides hurt because of her own mother's words. She wanted to be strong, but as her mother continued speaking, she couldn't help but question her own existence. It was true that it doesn't matter how strong a person might be. Words have the power to break anyone into a million pieces.

"I'm much more than that," she tried to remain assertive.

"Oh yeah? What are you love? I'll tell you what. A burden on your sweetheart's life, dear Richard."

Ellie felt a sudden rage crash through her and she blurted out, "You do not say a word about him. You do not have the right to even say his name."

Bernadette chuckled, "I'm not here to witness your anger. I'm here to tell you a little something, then leave, in the most humble way possible. Calm down."

"Just get out of here. I can't stand you. Also for the record, I'm not afraid of you, not one bit."

Her mother stroked her hair as she tried to move away from her.

"Listen I didn't become a renowned businesswoman for nothing. Turns out that the path to proving my independency actually is useful right now. You don't have to be afraid of me Ellie, no, but I'll tell you something to be afraid of."

Ellie tried to get the phone behind her, but her mother grabbed it as soon as she noticed.

"Let me tell you the reason why I came here first Ellie, damn, you need to relax."

"Cut the crap."

"Okay okay miss feisty. Straight to the point then, long story short. I have power. I can make one phone call and your beloved's career, his entire job, his father's legacy, will be reduced to ashes. Basically."

Ellie's look had changed to a confused one and then she smirked and continued, "Russell Logistics, isn't it? Famous business, owned by Mr Ace Russell, passed down to your love, Mr Richard Russell. What a cute family business. Family, something your presence stole from me. Anyways, you do realise what I'm trying to say right?"

Ellie felt a heavy feeling in her stomach and a sudden coldness that hit her.

"What?" she managed to say.

"Okay to explain it, your Richard's lovely business could be taken away from him. I can own it in just a second, I have the power for a reason. I can buy it, or I could falsely accuse him of doing something horrendous, and my status in society will help me ruin him. I know everything about you, I've planned this ever since I found out about you being in love. Just imagine what will happen if his father's company was ruined, he will be destroyed."

She clenched her fists and Bernadette cupped her face,"All I'm saying is that if your love is destroyed, you'll also be done for. So I'm giving you a simple choice my wonderful daughter. Watch me ruin his life, or, leave and start afresh somewhere else, knowing that your burden upon his life is removed. The ball is in your court honey, you do what's right."

Ellie pushed her away and asked with teary eyes,"Why are you doing this?"

"You were the reason I got separated from Davis. I never got his love, why should you live a great life? I believe that this is just a sweet, sweet revenge. No hard feelings alright?"

"I can now understand why Dad left you. You're a piece of-"

"Uh uh, watch your mouth. I'm controlling this, you make one wrong move and I destroy your life remember?"

Ellie screamed and tried to throw something at her. She quickly dodged and went toward the door.

"Just a quick disclaimer love, you tell any of this to anyone, and you can kiss seeing Richard happy ever again goodbye. Also if you don't believe me, check who got the Businesswoman of the Year Award. Your mother made headlines Ellie. She made headlines."

Ellie heard her leave. This was it, she really had a plan, and she most definitely destroyed Ellie right down to her core. She stood there, her entire life flashing before her eyes, and she couldn't do anything about it. There was only one option, and she definitely took that.

At the back of her mind she knew that she couldn't destroy anybody else's life at that moment.

A day before Ellie died

She sat at her bed and the thoughts of Richard and how their life would've been been flooded her mind. She clenched her blanket and cried, yet again. Not a day went when she didn't cry, it was becoming a habit.

Sizwe walked past her room and noticed her in her usual form. He wrapped his arms around her and tapped her head.

"You can't be crying everyday Ell, I know it's hard. I don't even know what happened, tell me, let me help," he pleaded.

They sat in silence until she broke down and told him the entire story, why she left, who came into her life.

He looked at her in shock and he tried to control his emotions for her sake.

"There was no other way. I couldn't have seen him fallen apart," she said, still crying.

Sizwe hugged her and the truth was that he didn't know what to say. It wasn't something he could have even expected, he could only comfort her. Besides, he also knew she wouldn't have done anything to risk Richard's life.

"Accept it Ell, that's the only thing I can say. I know you won't go back, so the only thing you can do is accept it. You might not be able to  move on, but you can try to live with it," he stroked her back, "I'm sorry."

She eventually fell off to sleep crying and the next day as she was making breakfast, a small spark emitted from the stove plate. She was taken aback by it, and in her mind she thought that she would get that sorted out.

At that specific point, her mother's words invaded her thoughts. It echoed in her mind.

"his father's legacy will be reduced to ashes"

Her thoughts were taken over by how she hurt Richard by leaving. Then she realised that she would never be able to accept it, she wouldn't be able to live with it.

Little did she know that she would be setting herself alight in some time.