Chapter 8

"My dude!" Richard threw his hands around Kiaan's shoulder, making him flinch. They greeted in a fist bump and Kiaan crouched to get a better shot of the environment.

Waves crashed into the shore and what made it even more beautiful were the rocks that existed randomly along the shore. The sound of people laughing and splashing water at each other seemed very satisfying. Nightingale Beach was always a place for attaining calmness and serenity.

He moved his fingers along the camera to adjust the features. His fingers glided along it so perfectly, due to his familiarity and talent in his craft.

While he clicked the pictures he asked, "So how was torture today?" and he chuckled.

"Lecture," Richard corrected.

Kiaan never liked careers relating to engineering, logistics, accounting or anything that involved more and more of Math. According to him, people don't do these careers because they want to, rather because:

1. They're smart and want to show it.
2. They are forced.
3. They have a family business to take over. (he always teased Richard on this point)

He couldn't quite understand how people actually pursue these careers and many others on their own accord. He was a firm believer of a 'Non-Math World.'

His belief was something many people couldn't understand, for he aced Math at school. He was one of the nine students who got an A in their final year of high school. He would always say, "Just because you do well in something, doesn't mean you like it. You simply understand it, that's all." The teachers would get fed up of hearing that from him because they thought he'd make a great candidate for a Math related career.

People wouldn't understand Kiaan, but Richard did. Well truthfully, Kiaan was a complicated person.

"It's the same thing. I just rearranged the letters," he laughed.

Richard shook his head and laughed, "Lecture? Torture? What rearranging is that? Clearly you failed English."

"Don't insult me. You know I did," he said seriously, while standing up straight.

Within a second they burst into laughter. "Listen to my advice, don't tell people anything with that straight face. They'll believe it," Richard said.

Kiaan snickered and examined at the picture he clicked.

"I'd rather listen to our 7th grade science teacher than to your advice," he said, "and he was terrible." They laughed again, it never stopped when they were together.

Kiaan showed him the picture in his camera. Richard shook his head and then said, "It's awful."

Kiaan laughed and said, "Yeah, just like your face."

They were joined in one of the best friendships ever. Kiaan and Richard blended so well. When they were together, it seemed as if nothing else mattered. Without saying a word both of them would understand each other and know what the other was thinking.

One of a kind, one laughed when the other did, one cried when the other was in pain. A unique sort of friendship, very cliché but true.

"It's wonderful!" Richard said, and patted Kiaan's back. Kiaan flashed a proud facial expression and put away his camera into his bag. "I know."

They decided to head back home and just like always, they raced to their bicycles. It was a 5 minute cycle from their houses to the beach so they didn't unnecessarily waste petrol to come with their cars.

"I'll destroy you, you'll be reduced to smithereens!" Kiaan shouted out as he paddled faster. "You bet!" Richard shouted.

They finally reached their houses but Richard, while screaming out to Kiaan, crashed into a pole with his bicycle.

Kiaan burst into laughter, he laughed as if he never did before. Richard rubbed his hands and laughed too, while getting up.

While laughing like a maniac he rushed toward Richard. "You alright?" he asked while wiping the tears of laughter from his eyes. "Yeah I'm good," he nodded.

They lifted the bicycle up and luckily it only retrieved a scratch on the handle. Dahlia opened the door with a bang and was not surprised to see her 'mischievous duo' at it again.

She put her hands on her hips and called out, "Dinner is ready, make a move on inside you two!"

They went inside, Richard rubbing off the grass from his pants. He looked at his Mother in disappointment. "Not worried about your son I see?"

Kiaan chortled and Richard glared at him, and then grinned eventually. Dahlia pulled his cheeks and said, "No."

This gave rise to Kiaan ultimately roaring with laughter. Dahlia laughed too, Richard stood with even more disappointment, and the struggle of trying not to laugh.

"Ofcourse Rich. Kiaan was there though, he'll take care of you dear. Besides you're always getting yourself in these incidents, I tell you to be careful. Do you ever listen?" she said in a joking tone.

He made an expression of anger like a 4 year old not getting a toy he wants.

"Mum, he laughed at me, yeah your dear Kiaan. Let alone helping, he literally stood and laughed." Kiaan and Dahlia started laughing again.

"Oh little baby," Kiaan teased, "I'm sorry dear. I won't laugh at you."

Richard couldn't help but chuckle at Kiaan's baby voice. He pushed his shoulder slightly, "You'll make the world's worst dad."

Eventually, they were all seated and they ate roast chicken, potato and butternut. Dahlia made the best roasted chicken, even Sarita, who was eating too, couldn't match  her skill, she even admitted it.

Although they were neighbors, they sometimes had dinner at each other's houses. That was just their beautiful relationship, closer than blood relations.

After eating, they were still at the table, having their drinks.

After a little silence Susheel asked, "So, Rich, who's the girl huh?" and he smiled teasingly.

Richard squirmed in his chair.

What is he talking about now? Girl? Which girl?  he thought.

Everyone looked at him, all in awe and interest in what he was going to say.

These people aren't even that interested when the President gives a speech on TV. Look at the interest now.. he thought

"I'm sorry Uncle, which girl?" with clear confusion in his voice.

Susheel laughed, "The library one. I came by there on Saturday, to get some new books. You were sitting with her and was well engaged in a conversation."

Richard didn't tell Kiaan about this girl and Kiaan was slightly surprised that he didn't get to know about this. He was merely friends/could-be-friends with her, so, he didn't bother to let anyone know. Kiaan looked straight at him, and Richard tried to avoid his gaze.

"Oh! Yeah. That's just-" he pouted, trying to find words. Everyone's gaze was fixated upon him and he tapped his glass.

"I met her at the library and we just talked. Most probably we're friends now," he said and then felt relieved.

"Ohh!!" his  Mother exclaimed. "That's why you were all excited to go to the library on Saturday!" and they all laughed.

"No Mum, I went for university resources," he said in his defense.

"Okay dear. I rest my case," she said and got up as they started clearing the table.

Richard never felt so embarrassed for something as common as talking to a random girl at the library.

He sat at his chair, his face was red. Kiaan noticed his uneasiness and to lighten his mood, he whispered to him.

"Does she have a sister?"