Chapter 21

Dahlia walked down the stairs and she didn't say a word to anyone. Along with concerned eyes, Richard walked up to her but she moved away, and proceeded toward the door.

Sarita, Kiaan and Richard followed her, and they reached the backyard. They watched as she plucked a flower and looked at Richard.

"Take me to him please."

Without saying a word Richard held on to his keys and drove her to the cemetery.

The gate was opened and there was nobody there besides the caretaker. Richard parked outside and he made it his duty to hold her hand and walk in.

Richard knew the path like the back of his hand. He went there quite often, and that was something many people didn't know that he did. It was his place of solace.

There stood Mr Ace Russell's grave. Richard stood right in front of it and watched Dahlia place the flower down. She stroked his name and whispered something.

The weather resonated warmth, and the Sun strokes caused Richard's watch to reflect a light onto the headstone. He faintly smiled and Dahlia stood next to him.

A few moments filled with a comforting silence passed, and Richard squeezed Dahlia's hand.

"I'll do anything for you Mum. Just be happy. Dad would like that too," he said in a soft voice.

Dahlia looked at Richard and remembered when Ace used to tell her he'd always do anything for her too. She also remembered Sarita's words, "Because he'll choose you."

She just looked at the headstone. In her mind she said, "Ask heaven for a pass to come and talk to me please."

Richard placed her head on his shoulder and held her tightly.

"I'm here, don't worry about anything," he said and kissed her forehead.

She hugged Richard tighter and felt every emotion that was left within her.

————————————————————————

Richard left for work and could not stop thinking about what had happened. He wanted to call Ellie but he knew it would be switched off because of university.

The day went by, a cloud of sadness followed Richard and Ellie. Just a glance at each other would've sufficed on that day. Nobody said that they couldn't meet, but they didn't, as both were being pulled away, both felt conflicted with themselves and those around them.

He checked his phone for any message from her, but there was nothing. He didn't want to make her feel suffocated by not giving her any space, so he didn't message either. He knew how much of importance she held in his life, but that day he realised how even a minute away from her would affect him.

Richard finished whatever he needed to at work. That was a good characteristic of him. No matter what personal conflict, he had to finish all his work first. It was only when he really couldn't help it that he didn't do any required work.

He packed his stuff and left for home, it was evening and the clouds were getting dark. Despite it being a small city, his office was a bit far, making it even bigger of a reason for him to get stuck in traffic. Raindrops splattered on his car as he drove slowly.

As he drove, he noticed something in the car in front of him.

A little girl was drawing from the hazy rain effect on the rear windshield of the car. He was lost in how excited she was to draw on it. She caught Richard looking at her and  she stopped and looked down. Then she looked back at him, drew a heart and then smiled warmly.

His heart melted and he smiled back, making her even more happy. Looking at her happiness, he was filled with a sense of gaeity.

Upon returning home, he saw that Kiaan was there too. He was happy to see him, he needed him more than he thought. He opened the door, took out his stuff and rushed to the front door.

"Towel Kiaan," he called out and Kiaan shouted an, "Okay!" in agreement.

He took his black formal shoes off and placed it upwards to dry. The door opened, and he reached out for the towel and wiped his hair.

While doing so, he looked up and said, "Thank-"

The person who gave him the towel stood in front of him. That person was Ellie.