Chapter 7

"Ellie McAllen," he called out softly. She looked up at him and faintly smiled. Ellie was just like that, never displayed extra or even complete emotions toward people she didn't know well. It was just her nature, most credited to her upbringing by Davis. He always protected her and made sure she knew how to protect herself.

He smiled back, and took a seat next to her, but making sure to keep a little distance. "Richard Russell," she said. He chuckled, "That's me. I'm surprised by how you remembered it so well." She snickered and said, "It's an advantage of being blind. You remember many things other people overlook."

He was yet again overwhelmed and happy to hear her pick out her disability on her own. It made him feel as if he didn't have to think about what to say, because she would accept it and laugh. He looked over at the Braille in front of her and quite fascinated, he asked, "How do you read this?"

She responded saying that it was fairly easy as it's just interpretation of the dots. "Could you show me maybe?" he politely asked. She agreed and took his hand, they navigated the dots and she taught him how to interpret it. He was highly interested, for his curious mind always came into play anywhere. She was also fairly happy to help him learn something new.

They laughed when he cracked jokes, he was always the jovial type. She didn't want to admit it to herself, but she did enjoy his company. A conflict was erupting in her mind at that moment. A part was telling her to accept that she liked his company and that they might be friends, and another part telling her it's not so good, they just met and it's not guaranteed that he is what he seems.

A lot was happening in her mind, sometimes it overworked. Then again, it was Ellie.

Interrupting her numerous trains of thoughts, Richard said, "Don't mind me asking but-"

"Then don't ask," she quickly replied. He looked at her and they laughed on unexpected cue. "I'm kidding, go ahead. I bet I've answered worse already."

Laughing, he asked, "Is Ellie McAllen your full name? Like no second or third or fourth name?" and he paused for an answer. She didn't reply so he quickly added, "I'm just asking, just want to get to know you. That's all." He used a rather friendly tone.

"It's my full name," she replied. Ellie knew it was a lie, but as far as she knew and followed, she didn't know him well to tell him all this. Neither did she trust him, trust only remained in one person, her father, no one else. She lost trust and hope in many people because of the one incident that became a huge part of her life. Since then, she didn't trust easily, or expect anything, or love anyone easily.

He nodded, he was really interested in knowing her. He knew that if he wanted to be friends, he'd have to know about her ultimately. "Okay, that's nice. Favourite book?" She started to get a little more comfortable because he chose the route of books rather than her personal life. She appreciated it.

They carried on with the topic of books and she was amused at the amount of interest he showed even though he didn't even read many of the ones she mentioned.

More than them coming to fulfil the intended purpose at the library, they talked. Marlena did call out to them once to keep it low. Ellie was soft spoken, but Richard was quite loud.

Richard's phone buzzed in his pocket. He took it out and quickly answered it.

"Hey Mum."

"Rich, I need some stuff from the store. Get them now please. Are you busy?"

"I like how you ask if I'm busy right after ordering me to get it. Does it make a difference?" and he laughed.

"Oh cut it out. I'll text you what I need now. Be safe dear. Thanks!"

"Okay yeah no problem," and he hung up.

He turned back to Ellie and said, "Um El-" before she could interrupt him.
"Your mum needs stuff. She talks really loud over the phone actually," and they laughed.

Running his fingers through his hair, he said, "Mothers' right? They're something else," and he laughed. She responded in a monotonous voice, "I wouldn't know," before turning to her Braille.

"I'm-" he stopped himself from saying sorry. Richard knew better than to express sympathy towards Ellie. She didn't like it. "I'll see you then. Next week. Bye Ellie McAllen," he said, adorning a happy tone.

She nodded and genuinely smiled. "Bye Richard Russell."

For the first time no one pitied her when she said anything about her mother. She was happy that he didn't, she felt her insides go warm knowing someone understood her for that.

For a second she thought of telling him her full name, but he was already gone and she did eventually hold back because she wasn't sure enough.